עד כמה אני מסתכנת?

S Butterfly

New member
האמת שהתיאור שלך מדכא אבל

יש לי כסף להתחיל ונשימה לחכות ולמצוא עבודה סבירה. תיכננתי לשכור חדר בהתחלה, בפינץ' או שפרד, ובמצב הזה יש לי אפשרות נשימה ארוכה מאד עד שאמצא משהו. בנתיים התכולה שלי תחכה בארץ באחסנה. מצאתי חברה (אביה) שתמורת 250 דולר לחודש הדברים יחכו לי וזה כולל ביטוח. מה אומר לך, גם האינטואיציה שלי מעורבת פה. האינטואיציה אומרת לי לנסות. יש לי גמישות כי אני לבד. זה גם קושי וגם גמישות. עם הרקע שלי בכימיה אוכל לעבוד כפארמסי אסיסטנט בכל שופר, ויש הרבה כאלו, יש לי הופעה אם אני רוצה אז אולי בחנויות בגדים, או במסעדות חמישה, יש לי המון ידע באמנות אז אוכל לעבוד בחנויות חומרי יצירה ויש גם דרישה למקצוע שלי לעצמו. כל הנתונים האלו משפרים את מה שאתה צופה עבורי?
 

TrigATUSA

New member
as long as your a flexible

and especially flexible about your housing situation you should be OK
&nbsp
and in any case, you are not risking much - you can always change your mind whenever you want
 

giri

New member
מסכימה עם טריג

הגמישות שלך והנכונות לרדת ברמת החיים לזמן מה כדי להתאקלם היא מה שחשוב.
שיהיה בהצלחה!
 

estee from ynet

New member
Lots of Opportunities

I remember that you’ve previously asked about becoming a stager/organizer. In addition, with a PhD you could even try to get hired as a seasonal/part-time lecturer at U of T (as part of the regular programs or at the Continuing Studies dept.). U of T is constantly adding new courses in a variety of disciplines, and hiring new lecturers. I know this for a fact because I am a mature student, and I am currently on the waiting list for a new course offered by such a new lecturer. You’d make more money at U of T than at Starbucks...
 

S Butterfly

New member
זה נישמע מבטיח

אוכל לבנות קורס חדשני, ואני מוצאת שיש להם מחלקה לאמנות ומדעים, יש לי הרבה ידע בתחומים האלו, אבל אני לא בטוחה שאנגלית של מהגרים תספיק פה
 

S Butterfly

New member
זה רעיון טוב ונועז מבחינתי

האמת שהתחלתי לבנות קורסים, אבל בארץ לימודים אוטודידאקטיים ותיק עבודות של צייר לא נחשב כמו בוגר בצלאל, שבדרך כלל יודע בעיקר טכניקות עבודה ודיקלומים מתולדות האמנות. בטורונטו הגישה שונה ויש סיכוי. אמן שבנה את עצמו מעצמו נחשב בטורונטו יותר ממי שלימדו אותו, ולא להיפך כמו בארץ. יש לי כבר סקיצה די רחבה של שני קורסים שאני בונה, והאמת שלא העזתי לחשוב שזה אפשרי בטורונטו, אבל אולי כן. תודה!
 

estee from ynet

New member
Sigalit - advice

Sorry, I haven’t had the time to get into the Forum – I had a four-hour exam yesterday...
At OCADU You would be able to make lots of contacts and to establish a reputation. I suggest that you contact Dr Diamond, the President, and ask to meet with her (for an informational interview). She would be a great contact for someone with your background.
http://www.ocadu.ca/about/president/about.htm
(Her email contact info. is on her CV)
 

S Butterfly

New member
אין על מה להצטער, אני רק יכולה להודות לך

את עוזרת לי למצוא את האנשים הנכונים
כתבתי לה מייל ופירטתי את ראשי הפרקים של הקורס שבניתי
התשובה שלה יכולה לשנות הרבה מבחינתי
ארבע שעות בחינה? מה את לומדת?
 

estee from ynet

New member
Sigalit - Additional Information

Sigalit,
What people are telling you in Israel shouldn't scare you off. I lived, worked, and studies in more than one foreign country, and I was forced to reinvent myself and to restart my life a number of times throughout my life. Moreover, I did it all alone with no one to help me even when I was just a kid. In view of my previous experiences, I don't want to reveal too much on an Israeli forum, but people find it difficult to comprehend how I manage to be a top student while having to deal with everything else that has been going on in my life. Actually, I have decided to drop a course that I have just been accepted into and that starts in January. Apparently, apart from being an extremely exhausting topic for me emotionally, the course requires that I come to class three times a week for one hour each. Since I had previously met the professor during a reception, I might attend the first couple of classes as a guest. There is one other course that I am taking in January, in addition to the very crucial one (with the high profile lecturer that I am still on a waiting list for), and that is very important to me. I take courses that are related to my professional and personal background or that can enhance my personal knowledge, can provide me with better access to what I need to accomplish, and that can help move my projects forward. I realize that it sounds mysterious, but I have too many big fish to fry these days, and my objectives keep changing by the day. What mattered to me at the beginning of the summer is no longer a priority today...

Unlike other newcomers, you will not have to settle for a survival job. While it's not a good idea to live on your savings, with your advanced degrees, you will have no difficulty finding something rewarding. Don’t worry, you will not starve – there is assistance to jobseekers, and many highly-educated professionals go on Social Assistance (Ontario Works) until they land a job. If you cannot get a job as a lecturer, with your background, you can apply for an administrative job at any of the colleges. I understand that you have never actually worked in your field in Canada. With no recent Canadian experience, it may be difficult, but you could try to get a job at a pharmaceutical company. I can tell you who to approach. However, you need a good resume, and once you get here, I can direct you to where they'll do it for you. Opening a small gallery is much too risky financially. I have a friend who is a well known Cuban photojournalist, and she exhibits her work internationally. She used to have a studio and closed it down. Her former boyfriend paints, and he too used to exhibit his art. Still, he also had a fulltime job while painting. Some places let you display your paintings for free. Hopefully, you'll get to meet Dr. Sara Diamond. Did you send her a copy of your CV? She would be able to introduce you to all the right people, and with your background, you would be the perfect candidate for her university. You also need to create a Linkedin profile. I just noticed that I am connected to Dr. Diamond through someone very high profile whom I had once recommended to U of T as a guest speaker. In addition, you ought to look for a better location to live than in North Toronto. As a single woman you need a more professional or artistic location. You can easily find a reasonable place to rent in Midtown Toronto or in the Annex. I lived in a furnished room in the Annex years ago when I moved to Toronto.
 

S Butterfly

New member
שוב תודה אסתי

קראתי את הפוסט שלך פעמיים כדי להפנים את כל המידע. תודה. את נישמעת מאד מנוסה. עדיין לא הבנתי מה את לומדת.

הייתי בקשר עם שרה והיא התרשמה מהעבודות והקורות, אבל לא היא זו שקובעת את המרצים, לכן הפנתה אותי לאסוסייט דין. אני אנסה. בנתיים לכתוב את הקורות שלי בסגנון קנדי יועיל מאד אז אשמח לקבל עצה. הבנתי שמוטב לקצר לדף אחד ולתמצת. האמנם?

את מאד מחזקת אותי לנסות, ואני מבינה שבנית עצמך לבד ולא במדינה אחת, יישר כוח
 
למעלה