Commentary: John Quixote 1
משתתפים בדיון על הפרק - Ben Browder Gigi Edgley Jonathan Hardy Paul Goddard Ricky Manning הנה- Ricky: How did the concept evolve? Because that wasn't what you originally pitched. Ben: My original pitch on this episode was that it was a fairy tale... Gigi: Fairies, fairies, fairies! Ben: ...being told in the Uncharted Territories. The problem was, integrating what we would recognize as a fairy tale in such an alien setting. At one point I posited to DK that the characters in the game were real, in an alternate reality. He torpedoed that. I understood later. Our people are not the good guys in the eye of a lot of folks, they're the bad guys, and I wanted to show that. I wanted to bring some people back, like Paul and Ginny. Gigi wanted to do some action stuff, so I wanted to give her something that let her be fiesty, with the swordplay. So I cobbled it all together, and it was so big. It was hard to cut down; the first cut came in at 60 minutes. I asked Ricky what I could cut, and he said. "I don't know." If you could see the 60 minute version, it's exquisite. Ricky: I think I said cut the Crais. Ben: Oh, I know, you said cut the elevator. You can't cut the elevator, Crichton's the bad guy! Ricky: We had a lot of discussion in addition to the fairy tale. With the destruction that they've left behind them, our characters aren't seen as the good guys by a large chunk of the galaxy. Ginny comes back and drives a stake into Crichton's heart about all the people who have died. I just want to state for the record that Ben wrote every bloody word in this episode. It's very rare for that with a freelancer, it's very rare that one of us doesn't take a pass at it, either light changes or major carpentry. We went to green, which is what, five drafts? Not bad for Farscape. Ben: Not bad unless you're writing at 3:00 a.m., when you're shooting the next day! Paul: I recall how I got involved with it. It was at a BBQ at Ben & Fran's after season three. Ben was discussing this episode with DK, and they started talking about how they'd twist the characters in some way to turn them on their heads. They talked about the man in the iron mask, and some wild ideas, and the outcome was that Stark's mask was on the other side. I thought nothing of it, but a few months later I got a call from Ben saying he wanted me to speak a sonnet. I'd just decided to learn all the Shakespearean sonnets (although since then I've only learned one!) so I thought it was a fantastic idea, but it was quite a risk to have a Shakespearean sonnet in a sci-fi episode. The producers were a little concerned that it would go on too long (it was three pages in the script). I told them I can go as fast as anything as long as it was clear. Jonathan: How can it take up three pages? It's only 14 lines! Did you realize that a Shakespeare sonnet rhymes A-B-B-A? Ricky: Yes. Jonathan: Well, I'm lying! Hah hah hah! The episode begins playing on the screen behind them. Sikozu approaches Scorpy's cell, carrying John's chess set. Ben: The opening scene almost went [onto the cutting room floor] in the final cut. John sits in the transport pod, musing over memories of Aeryn. Ricky: Oh, it's a recap. Ben: It wasn't a recap, it was something we did all season long. Back to Sikozu outside Scorpy's cell, as they play chess through the bars. Ricky: Now we go to the A story, which is always Scorpy and Sikozu. Chiana: Come on, come play these games with me. John: Games? Looks like, some kind of sick... root. Ben: "Root" has a different meaning in Australia. [it's the equivalent of "frell" - Ed.] D'Argo strides down a corridor on Moya, as he tells John that there's a problem with Scorpius. Ricky: One of the discussions that we had was about what kind of costume D'Argo should be wearing. Stark rushes onscreen, calling out, "I'll save you!" Paul: I loved it, I was playing the hero. The CGI castle appears. Ricky: The Olympic stadium parking structure was where a lot of this was shot, so that they could get some height in the shot. We put the CGI over it. The television set falls off the castle wall onto Crichton. Ricky: If this looks like an homage...it is. Ben: I think originally it was going to be a couch, but Tony Tilse insisted on it being a TV set instead, because it was a way to meld the shooting styles used in combination throughout the episode. I think the conversation was about how the Princess was constantly redecorating. How much do you stay in the game world? How do you come back to reality? We used these really weird cameras on long poles, and it really gets integrated when it's used on the television set. That was Tony Tilse at his most clever. Ricky: Tony loves to go big and broad and colorful. Shot of John and Chiana standing in the transport pod, twitching under the control of the game. Gigi: Tantric! Ricky: So they're lost in the game, so what, what does that mean? We wanted to show some framework showing danger. Otherwise, they could play all they like with no damage. Stark tosses a goose aside as he opens a filing cabinet drawer. Ben: The goose is Tony Tilse. Ricky: It's not actually Tony Tilse. Ben: His idea! Stark recites the Game Instructions Sonnet. Jonathan: You'd have to keep replaying that.
משתתפים בדיון על הפרק - Ben Browder Gigi Edgley Jonathan Hardy Paul Goddard Ricky Manning הנה- Ricky: How did the concept evolve? Because that wasn't what you originally pitched. Ben: My original pitch on this episode was that it was a fairy tale... Gigi: Fairies, fairies, fairies! Ben: ...being told in the Uncharted Territories. The problem was, integrating what we would recognize as a fairy tale in such an alien setting. At one point I posited to DK that the characters in the game were real, in an alternate reality. He torpedoed that. I understood later. Our people are not the good guys in the eye of a lot of folks, they're the bad guys, and I wanted to show that. I wanted to bring some people back, like Paul and Ginny. Gigi wanted to do some action stuff, so I wanted to give her something that let her be fiesty, with the swordplay. So I cobbled it all together, and it was so big. It was hard to cut down; the first cut came in at 60 minutes. I asked Ricky what I could cut, and he said. "I don't know." If you could see the 60 minute version, it's exquisite. Ricky: I think I said cut the Crais. Ben: Oh, I know, you said cut the elevator. You can't cut the elevator, Crichton's the bad guy! Ricky: We had a lot of discussion in addition to the fairy tale. With the destruction that they've left behind them, our characters aren't seen as the good guys by a large chunk of the galaxy. Ginny comes back and drives a stake into Crichton's heart about all the people who have died. I just want to state for the record that Ben wrote every bloody word in this episode. It's very rare for that with a freelancer, it's very rare that one of us doesn't take a pass at it, either light changes or major carpentry. We went to green, which is what, five drafts? Not bad for Farscape. Ben: Not bad unless you're writing at 3:00 a.m., when you're shooting the next day! Paul: I recall how I got involved with it. It was at a BBQ at Ben & Fran's after season three. Ben was discussing this episode with DK, and they started talking about how they'd twist the characters in some way to turn them on their heads. They talked about the man in the iron mask, and some wild ideas, and the outcome was that Stark's mask was on the other side. I thought nothing of it, but a few months later I got a call from Ben saying he wanted me to speak a sonnet. I'd just decided to learn all the Shakespearean sonnets (although since then I've only learned one!) so I thought it was a fantastic idea, but it was quite a risk to have a Shakespearean sonnet in a sci-fi episode. The producers were a little concerned that it would go on too long (it was three pages in the script). I told them I can go as fast as anything as long as it was clear. Jonathan: How can it take up three pages? It's only 14 lines! Did you realize that a Shakespeare sonnet rhymes A-B-B-A? Ricky: Yes. Jonathan: Well, I'm lying! Hah hah hah! The episode begins playing on the screen behind them. Sikozu approaches Scorpy's cell, carrying John's chess set. Ben: The opening scene almost went [onto the cutting room floor] in the final cut. John sits in the transport pod, musing over memories of Aeryn. Ricky: Oh, it's a recap. Ben: It wasn't a recap, it was something we did all season long. Back to Sikozu outside Scorpy's cell, as they play chess through the bars. Ricky: Now we go to the A story, which is always Scorpy and Sikozu. Chiana: Come on, come play these games with me. John: Games? Looks like, some kind of sick... root. Ben: "Root" has a different meaning in Australia. [it's the equivalent of "frell" - Ed.] D'Argo strides down a corridor on Moya, as he tells John that there's a problem with Scorpius. Ricky: One of the discussions that we had was about what kind of costume D'Argo should be wearing. Stark rushes onscreen, calling out, "I'll save you!" Paul: I loved it, I was playing the hero. The CGI castle appears. Ricky: The Olympic stadium parking structure was where a lot of this was shot, so that they could get some height in the shot. We put the CGI over it. The television set falls off the castle wall onto Crichton. Ricky: If this looks like an homage...it is. Ben: I think originally it was going to be a couch, but Tony Tilse insisted on it being a TV set instead, because it was a way to meld the shooting styles used in combination throughout the episode. I think the conversation was about how the Princess was constantly redecorating. How much do you stay in the game world? How do you come back to reality? We used these really weird cameras on long poles, and it really gets integrated when it's used on the television set. That was Tony Tilse at his most clever. Ricky: Tony loves to go big and broad and colorful. Shot of John and Chiana standing in the transport pod, twitching under the control of the game. Gigi: Tantric! Ricky: So they're lost in the game, so what, what does that mean? We wanted to show some framework showing danger. Otherwise, they could play all they like with no damage. Stark tosses a goose aside as he opens a filing cabinet drawer. Ben: The goose is Tony Tilse. Ricky: It's not actually Tony Tilse. Ben: His idea! Stark recites the Game Instructions Sonnet. Jonathan: You'd have to keep replaying that.