חדשות היום

../images/Emo9.gifחדשות היום../images/Emo9.gif

יש הרבהההה
עוזרו של אפשטיין (הזקן לא הצעיר
) חזר לבוסטון אחרי שעזב עם בוסטון, לא רוצה לפתח תקוות אבל בוסטון עדיין מנסים לשכנע אותו לחזור. עוזריו של הGM בקליבלנד וטורונטו טובים, עדיפים על אחרים אז אם לא לוקחים מישהו מהקבוצה עדיף אותם. יאנקיז דיקליין דה אופשיין על טינו מרטינז. Neifi Perez's two-year deal with the Cubs is worth $5 million. With the way the Cubs spend on the Neifis and Glendons, you'd never know that they actually had a fairly productive farm system. The Cubs probably aren't giving Perez any more than the Diamondbacks, Marlins or Rockies might have at some later date, but it's still too much. Nov. 8 - 4:04 pm et The Yankees are shopping Jorge Posada at the GM meetings, baseball executives told SI's Tom Verducci. It's unlikely that the Yankees could get any talent in return for Posada without picking up a portion of the $21 million he's owed over the next two seasons, and signing Ramon Hernandez or Bengie Molina wouldn't be an upgrade. Plus, they'd lose a draft pick in the process. Unless there's a particularly gullible suitor out there, the Yankees should probably just stick with Posada until his contract expires. Nov. 8 - 4:51 pm et Source: SI.com Agent Greg Genske told ESPN's Peter Gammons today that Manny Ramirez still isn't interested in going to the Mets. Then where can Manny go? According to the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes, the Angels might be out, as neither Ramirez nor Garret Anderson wants to be a DH. Ramirez's other supposed preferred choice, Cleveland, doesn't seem very interested. If Ramirez would really block a trade to the Mets, then there's a good chance he'll be stuck in Boston. Nov. 8 - 5:42 pm et I Wish!
Padres exercised RHP Akinori Otsuka's $1.75 million option for 2006. At $1.75 million, this was an easy call. However, the Padres aren't as high on Otsuka as they were a year ago. He finished with a 3.59 ERA and a 1.42 WHIP in 62 2/3 IP last season. Nov. 8 - 5:45 pm et מדברים על טרייד של וולס תמורתו. Yankees declined first baseman Tino Martinez's $3 million option for 2006. Martinez gets a $250,000 buyout on top of the $2.75 million he made in 2005. There isn't much chance that he'll be back after hitting .241/.328/.439 in 303 at-bats last season. The Yankees may attempt to replace him with John Olerud. Nov. 8 - 5:57 pm et Padres declined infielder-outfielder Eric Young's $850,000 club option for 2006. He relieves a $150,000 buyout. Young, who missed about half of last season with a dislocated shoulder, hit .275/.356/.380 in 142 AB. We wouldn't be surprised to see him head to Colorado. His son currently plays in the Rockies' farm system. Nov. 8 - 6:32 pm et Chris Denorfia went 2-for-4 with a triple and three RBI today for Mesa of the AFL. Denorfia is batting .333/.425/.576 in 92 at-bats. The 25-year-old will be a top candidate to take over as the Reds' fourth outfielder if the team moves Adam Dunn or Austin Kearns this winter. Nov. 8 - 8:34 pm et Adam Miller allowed one hit over five scoreless innings today for Mesa of the AFL. Miller entered with a 7.08 ERA in five starts, so it's nice to see him finish with a big outing. He won't pitch again before the season ends. Nov. 8 - 8:37 pm et Howie Kendrick homered and doubled twice today in Surprise's loss to Phoenix. Despite the loss, Surprise clinched a spot in Saturday's championship game. The Scorpions will be playing Phoenix once again. Kendrick is batting .388/.413/.612 in 116 AB this fall. Nov. 8 - 8:42 pm et James Loney homered, doubled and drove in three runs today. He is batting .352 in the Arizona Fall League. Loney has five homers in just 14 games. He's not going to be a candidate to open next season as the Dodgers' first baseman, but he might be ready before the end of the year. Nov. 8 - 8:47 pm et The Mets are talking to the Rangers about the availability of Alfonso Soriano, a major league executive told the New York Times. Back to this one again? The Mets seems to pursue the same handful of players time after time. The Rangers should be open to trading Soriano, given their need for pitching and better defense up the middle. If the Mets would surrender Yusmeiro Petit and Aaron Heilman for him, it'd be a fine trade for Texas. Nov. 9 - 12:37 am et Source: New York Times The Blue Jays have joined the Royals, Pirates and Cubs in asking the Rangers about Kevin Mench. Adrian Gonzalez is also receiving interest. In return for Mench, the Royals are reportedly willing to give up Jeremy Affeldt. The Blue Jays discussed Miguel Batista, Brandon League and Alex Rios with the Rangers. Of course, there's no way they'd give up all three players. Rios alone for Mench would likely give the team pause. Nov. 9 - 12:48 am et Source: Dallas Morning News The Red Sox will interview the Nationals' Jim Bowden for their GM opening today, but several people within the organization are still trying to talk Theo Epstein into returning. It seems like a real longshot at this point. However, the Red Sox yesterday announced the return of Bill Lajoie, who resigned along with Epstein on Oct. 31. Formerly a special assistant to Epstein, the 71-year-old Lajoie was named special adviser in baseball operations. Along with interviewing Bowden today, the Red Sox also have an interview set up with Jim Beattie for Friday. Also, it's believed they've requested permission to speak with Blue Jays director of player personnel Tony LaCava and Indians assistant GM Chris Antonetti. Nov. 9 - 2:45 am et Source: Boston Herald עוד...

ההמשך../images/Emo3.gif

According to his agent, Mike Cameron is no longer bothered by the headaches or vision problems that affected him for several weeks after his outfield collision with Carlos Beltran. "He's running, lifting and working out as usual," agent Mike Nicotera said. "He's no more likely to be at risk for any subsequent injury than he was at this time last year." Nicotera also denied the report in yesterday's New York Daily News that Cameron had requested a trade. Nov. 9 - 2:48 am et Source: Newark Star-Ledger According to Newsday, the Mets are open to trading Kris Benson or Steve Trachsel in order to land a bat. Trachsel's availability is no surprise. The Mets could also try to do something with Benson in exchange for a fairly high-priced first or second baseman. If that happened, they'd then look to sign one of the better free agent pitchers. A.J. Burnett, Kevin Millwood and Esteban Loaiza are viewed as possibilities. Nov. 9 - 2:54 am et Source: Newsday According to the New York Post, the Yankees recently made an informal, two-year offer to free agent Tom Gordon. The soon-to-be 38-year-old Gordon is seeking a three-year deal and may prefer to take over as a closer elsewhere. Nov. 9 - 2:59 am et Source: New York Post The Mets called to express an interest in catcher Brad Ausmus yesterday, agent Peter Mrowka said. Ausmus is expected to stay in Houston or replace Ramon Hernandez in San Diego, but the Mets wanted to check in. They're expected to target either Bengie Molina or Kenji Jojima. Nov. 9 - 3:07 am et Source: New York Post Manny Ramirez was reportedly discussed when officials from the Mets and Red Sox met yesterday. No potential deals were kicked around, and it doesn't seem that Ramirez's agent was involved. Agent Greg Genske has said Ramirez doesn't want to play for the Mets, but Ramirez would likely have to make it absolutely, 100-percent clear that he's not interested before either team completely dropped the subject. Nov. 9 - 3:10 am et Source: New York Post In a deal that is expected to become official on Thursday or Friday, Rocco Baldelli and the Rays have agreed to an extension through 2008 with team options extending to 2011. The deal could be worth as much as $33 million. Baldelli was examined by Dr. James Andrews this week, and the Rays were comfortable enough with the results to go ahead with the deal. The center fielder is expected to be ready for next season after recovering from a torn ACL and Tommy John surgery. "Everything is coming along good," Baldelli said. "I’m throwing now. My knee’s been fine. I’m kind of in off-season mode, besides my rehab." Nov. 9 - 3:14 am et Source: Tampa Tribune Nationals GM Jim Bowden met the representatives for A.J. Burnett and Hector Carrasco yesterday and also had trade discussions with two clubs. He would have talked with more teams, but then he realized Alex Escobar was still on his roster. With MLB ownership still in place, it's hard to imagine the Nationals as serious bidders for Burnett. They will try to keep Carrasco. They may have to promise him a chance to compete for a rotation spot in order to re-sign him. Nov. 9 - 3:25 am et Source: Washington Post Ray King has backed off his request for a trade and now says he hopes to stay with the Cardinals. King was upset about not being used at all in the postseason when he asked to be moved last month. "Hopefully, I am back in St. Louis," King said. "I talked to my agent, I talked to [GM Walt Jocketty] and it's just like this - I plan to get ready, drop a few pounds and on Feb. 14 or Feb. 15 hopefully I'll be heading to Jupiter. I never went to Walt and said I wanted to be out of there. Walt understands. He told my agent they weren't looking to trade me." Nov. 9 - 3:29 am et Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch The Cardinals have yet to make offers to retain free agents Reggie Sanders, Matt Morris, Mark Grudzielanek and Abraham Nunez. The club supposedly has interest in bringing each back, but Brian Giles might be the priority. One free agent the Cardinals do seem poised to lose is Julian Tavarez. Nov. 9 - 3:32 am et Source: St. Louis Post-Dispatch The Royals are close to signing third baseman Mike Coolbaugh to a minor league contract. The 33-year-old Coolbaugh would be quality Triple-A insurance, as always. He last appeared in the majors with the Cardinals in 2002. Nov. 9 - 3:39 am et Source: Kansas City Star The Kansas City Star and the Dallas Morning News are both reporting that the Royals are trying to use Jeremy Affeldt in order to acquire Kevin Mench. GM Allard Baird is talking about Affeldt as a starter again, but it's probably mostly to up his trade value. He's one of the best pieces of bait that the Royals have. Nov. 9 - 3:41 am et Source: Kansas City Star According to the New York Daily News, Mets GM Omar Minaya is laying the foundation for a potential trade with the Devil Rays for Danys Baez and Aubrey Huff. Apparently, the Mets would try to complete the deal if they failed to land Billy Wagner and the Manny Ramirez talks didn't go anywhere. It's likely that some combination of Yusmeiro Petit, Aaron Heilman and Jae Seo would be involved. Baez would likely close for the Mets if acquired. Nov. 9 - 3:48 am et Source: New York Daily News Agent Paul Kinzer is seeking a five-year deal for Rafael Furcal. He said he doesn't expect Furcal to make any decisions within the next couple of weeks. Furcal may make a couple of recruiting trips before deciding where to sign. Neifi Perez called him on Monday night and tried to sell him on the Cubs. Nov. 9 - 4:01 am et Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution Phillies officials have reportedly learned that Manny Ramirez would not accept a trade to Philadelphia. There haven't been any reports about the Red Sox and Phillies discussing a deal, and now there probably won't be. For someone who is desperate to get out of Boston, Ramirez sure seems to be picky. Nov. 9 - 4:03 am et Source: Philadelphia Inquirer יש המשך...

עוד קצת../images/Emo178.gif

Agent Scott Boras expects to talk with Mariners GM Bill Bavasi today or Thursday about free-agent starting pitchers Jeff Weaver, Kevin Millwood, Kenny Rogers and Jarrod Washburn. "All pitchers like to pitch in Seattle," Boras said. Weaver, in particular, would prefer to stay on the West Coast. It's assumed that Washburn would rather head to the Midwest. Nov. 9 - 4:09 am et Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer Phillies GM Pat Gillick and manager Charlie Manuel will travel to Virginia next Wednesday in an attempt to convince Billy Wagner to stay in Philadelphia. The Phillies haven't improved their offer since last month. They currently have a two-year deal with a vesting option on the table. "I can't imagine why [the Phillies] wouldn't have already gone to three years," Wagner said. "I can understand not wanting to do a full no-trade clause, but I can't understand why they're not going three years. I'm surprised." With the Mets showing so much interest, Wagner seems likely to command at least $30 million over three years. Nov. 9 - 4:13 am et Source: Philadelphia Inquirer Along with discussing a deal with Brian Fuentes, the Rockies are also opening negotiations on multiyear contracts for Matt Holliday and Aaron Cook. Holliday has yet to prove he's going to be a quality regular, but since the Rockies think he's an everyday left fielder and Coors Field will help him amass impressive numbers, the team probably is better off signing him. He'd be well compensated in his arbitration years if that's the route he chooses to go. Nov. 9 - 4:21 am et Source: Rocky Mountain News The Marlins refused to comment yesterday after Carlos Delgado called a press conference to express his displeasure with trade rumors. "I don't want to be traded. I want to be a Marlin, and I want be in Florida and have a chance to win," Delgado said. "That was my position a year ago, and that's still my position today." Delgado is owed $48 million over the next three years because his four-year, $52 million contract was so backloaded, but the Marlins still might be able to find a taker for him. He doesn't have even a limited no-trade clause with which to block a deal. Nov. 9 - 4:26 am et Source: Miami Herald A postseason MRI showed no damage to Joe Mauer's previously troublesome left knee. After Mauer missed most of his rookie season, there was a lot of doubt whether his knee would allow him to be a long-term catcher. That he didn't have any problems with it last season was very encouraging. He'll enter 2006 as a top-five fantasy catcher. Nov. 9 - 4:30 am et Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

מור../images/Emo3.gif

The Angels are working to re-sign free agent Paul Byrd and might have a deal done soon. Byrd could take another one-year deal to stay with the Angels, even though he's sure to get two-year offers from other teams. If re-signed, Byrd would join Bartolo Colon, John Lackey, Kelvim Escobar and Ervin Santana in next year's rotation. Nov. 9 - 1:52 pm et Source: Orange County Register Free agent Tim Worrell turned down a one-year, $1 million contract to remain with the Diamondbacks. Worrell earned $3 million last season and doesn't think he needs to take such a cut after posting a 2.27 ERA in 32 appearances following his acquisition by the Diamondbacks. "There's interest out there," he said. "I'm still hoping to get something done with the Diamondbacks." Nov. 9 - 1:43 pm et Source: Arizona Republic Unless they need him as a closer, the Indians probably won't give free agent Bobby Howry the three-year contract he desires. GM Mark Shapiro would like Howry back on a two-year deal. Howry, though, might be able to get $10 million over three years after such a strong performance last season. Nov. 9 - 1:37 pm et Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer The Indians and Rangers have had some trade talks, and the Indians may be looking to acquire Adrian Gonzalez. The Rangers have had interested in Coco Crisp and David Riske in the past. Riske is available, but Crisp probably isn't. Riske alone won't bring Gonzalez. He's no Einar Diaz. Nov. 9 - 1:35 pm et Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer According to Newsday, the Rangers and Padres have discussed a trade that would send Alfonso Soriano and Laynce Nix to San Diego for Adam Eaton and Mark Loretta. That would make some sense for both sides, but we imagine that Soriano would be quite a disappointment in Petco Park. Soriano and Loretta are both free agents after next season. Nov. 9 - 1:23 pm et Source: Newsday White Sox GM Ken Williams said yesterday that he's optimistic that Konerko will be re-signed, and the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that a four-year offer worth up to $52 million could be tendered soon. Konerko isn't going to sign with the White Sox before testing the market and finding out what the Angels are going to offer. Also, the Dodgers have spoken to agent Craig Landis about Konerko during the GM meetings. Nov. 9 - 1:14 pm et Source: Chicago Sun-Times The Toronto Sun believes the Rangers are willing to give up Miguel Batista and either Alex Rios or Brandon League in return for the Rangers' Kevin Mench. Better for the Rangers to get both Rios and League, but Rios and Batista would be hard to turn down, especially since Batista could be put into the rotation or included in another trade. While Rios hasn't developed as hoped, he still could be a better player than Mench by 2007. Nov. 9 - 1:12 pm et Source: Toronto Sun If they keep both, the Jays are expected to use Shea Hillenbrand at first base and Eric Hinske at DH next season. Hinske started 97 games at first last season, while Hillenbrand filled in the other 65 games. The Blue Jays will continue to shop Hinske, but he is due nearly $10 million over the next two years. Hillenbrand has a lot more trade value and isn't much better of a player. Nov. 9 - 1:04 pm et Source: Toronto Sun

היום../images/Emo9.gif

Luis Gonzalez went 4-for-4 with three doubles for Anzoategui of the VWL yesterday. Gonzalez is batting .413 with seven doubles in 46 at-bats. Nov. 9 - 2:39 pm et Jose Lopez went 3-for-4 yesterday and is batting .333 in 30 at-bats in the VWL. Lopez is playing shortstop for Lara, but he'll be back at second base next year if he wins a spot on the Mariners. Nov. 9 - 2:43 pm et Franklin Gutierrez went 4-for-4 with two RBI yesterday for Caracas of the Venezuelan Winter League. In 43 at-bats, Gutierrez is batting .465/.566/.698 with three steals in three attempts. With Brian Snyder also playing very well in the AFL, the Indians should maybe feel more comfortable about entering next year with Casey Blake in right field. One of the two youngsters could be ready to take over by midseason. Nov. 9 - 2:47 pm et Minor league free agent Jorge Vasquez has a 0.75 ERA in the DWL after pitching two scoreless innings yesterday. Vasquez has given up just four hits and struck out 17 in 12 innings. Nov. 9 - 2:50 pm et Brayan Pena went 3-for-4 with a homer, a double and a walk yesterday for Cibao of the DWL. If Johnny Estrada is traded, the Braves could go with Pena as Brian McCann's backup next season, although they may prefer someone more experienced. Pena is only turning 24 in January, so even if it doesn't happen with the Braves, he has plenty of time to establish himself as a long-term reserve. Nov. 9 - 2:52 pm et Minor league free agent Abraham Nunez hit his first two homers of the Dominican Winter League season yesterday. He's batting .333/.434/.492 in 63 at-bats. Nunez, 28, spent all of last season with Triple-A Tacoma and hit .274/.364/.447. He's now trying to find a team that will give him a look as a reserve outfielder. Nov. 9 - 2:56 pm Rafael Palmeiro said he's "never intentionally taken steroids" in a statement released today. "I have never intentionally taken steroids," the statement read. "But I must also acknowledge that Stanozolol, a banned substance, was found in my system in May. Although I do not know how this substance came into my body, it is possible that a shot of vitamin B12 I took sometime in April might have been the cause. Under questioning by the Major League Player's Association - the player's union I had to reveal the details of how I got the possibly tainted B12 and then had to testify about the facts of this case under oath. I have never implicated any player in the intentional use or distribution of steroids, or any other illegal substance, in any interview or testimony." Palmeiro didn't comment on whether he'd attempt to return in 2006. Nov. 9 - 4:07 pm et Free agent Bret Boone is at the GM meetings and met with a couple of teams today. Boone, who didn't try to catch on with another team after being released by the Twins on Aug. 1, intends to play next season. "I don't care how big, or how small, the contract is," he said. "It's about opportunity. It would be easy to walk away from this game and say 'I have had a very nice career and made a ton of money.' But I couldn't do that and look at myself in the mirror. I have a lot left; I know I do. I know I can play at an All-Star level." In the Atlantic League maybe. Nov. 9 - 6:21 pm et Source: MLB.com Rangers signed outfielder Adrian Brown to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. Brown, 31, hit .273/.361/.401 with 33 steals in 40 tries for Triple-A Omaha last season. He probably won't have more than a slight chance of making the Rangers as a fifth outfielder next spring. Nov. 9 - 7:42 pm et Rangers signed RHP Rick Bauer to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. Bauer, a useful middle reliever for the Orioles from 2002-04, fell out of favor last year and cleared waivers after being removed from the 40-man roster in July. He's a pretty good pickup for the Rangers. There's no real upside here, but he can maintain a sub-5.00 ERA and eat innings. Nov. 9 - 7:46 pm et Cardinals declined outfielder Larry Walker's $15 million club option for 2006. He gets a $1 million buyout. Walker said after the NLCS that he was retiring, and he hasn't given any indication since that he's thinking of changing his mind. Nov. 9 - 8:42 pm et Cardinals exercised RHP Jeff Suppan's $4 million club option for 2006. Suppan won 16 games for the second straight season and finished with a career-best 3.57 ERA, even though he had his highest WHIP (1.38) since 2002. He certainly would have done better than $4 million as a free agent in the current market, but he would have went on to disappoint. Nov. 9 - 8:46 pm et Garrett Jones went 2-for-5 and hit his eighth homer of the AFL season today. Jones is batting .287/.337/.649 in 94 AB this fall. The Twins aren't going to pencil in the 24-year-old for a spot on their roster next year, but maybe they'll give him a chance if they keep having injury troubles. He should have gotten a look in September. Nov. 10 - 12:14 am et ההמשך...

Glen Perkins struck out nine in five scoreless innings today for Grand Canyon of the AFL. Perkins finally picked up his first win and finishes the AFL season with a 2.53 ERA and a 39/6 K/BB ratio in 32 innings. The 2004 first-round pick will likely open next season in Double-A. Nov. 10 - 12:16 am et Cody Haerther went 2-for-3 with his first homer and two walks today for Surprise of the AFL. Hearther entered with a .193/.303/.246 line in 57 at-bats, but the 22-year-old is one of the Cardinals' top prospects. He hit .298/.333/.500 in 208 AB after moving up to Double-A last season. Nov. 10 - 12:20 am et Jered Weaver pitched five innings of shutout ball and struck out 10 today for Surprise of the AFL. A nice way for Weaver to head into the Olympic qualifying later the month. He finishes with a 5.47 ERA in the AFL, but he had a 35/5 K/BB ratio in 24 2/3 IP. Nov. 10 - 12:23 am Angel Guzman yielded two runs in five innings and fanned six today for Mesa of the AFL. Guzman finishes 1-2 with a 3.82 ERA, 28 H and a 28/12 K/BB in 30 2/3 IP. The Cubs have already re-signed Glendon Rusch and will likely add another pitcher or two, so Guzman probably won't get a chance to compete for a roster spot in spring training. Still, if he can stay healthy for the first couple of months and pitch up to his ability, the Cubs will find room for him. Nov. 10 - 12:26 am et Stephen Drew homered and tripled today and is batting .337 in the Arizona Fall League. Drew is batting .337/.439/.708 in 89 at-bats. He's fourth in the league in OBP and second to Eric Duncan in slugging. Nov. 10 - 12:31 am et While dismissing the notion that Theo Epstein could return, the Red Sox yesterday interviewed Nationals GM Jim Bowden, Minnesota assistant GM Wayne Krivsky and Atlanta assistant GM Dayton Moore for their GM vacancy. Indians assistant GM Chris Antonetti and Blue Jays director of player personnel Tony LaCava turned down chances to interview, so the only announced interview remaining is the one schedule for Friday with Jim Beattie. As for Epstein, Red Sox chairman Tom Werner and president Larry Lucchino both indicated that there was nothing to the rumors that he could come back. However, ESPN's Peter Gammons said earlier in the day that it might be "50-50" that Epstein returns. Nov. 10 - 2:39 am et Red Sox chairman Tom Werner said Wednesday that his club is cooperating with Manny Ramirez's request for a trade, but that no deal was guaranteed. "We’ll explore it," Werner said. "I wouldn’t be surprised if we find it best if the Red Sox decided to retain his services." According to the Boston Herald, the Red Sox, in conversations with Paul Konerko's agent, have said they are planning on having Ramirez on the team next season. Nov. 10 - 2:44 am et Source: Boston Herald Two major league sources told the Dallas Morning News that the Rangers have had multiple discussions with the Padres regarding right-hander Adam Eaton. The paper does nothing to further the rumors of a swap of Alfonso Soriano and Laynce Nix for Eaton and Mark Loretta. Instead, the Rangers could send Gerald Laird and either Nix or Adrian Gonzalez to San Diego for Eaton. That seems like quite a bit to give up, what with Eaton being eligible for free agency after next season. Nov. 10 - 3:05 am et Source: Dallas Morning News The Nationals haven't moved any closer to re-signing free agent Esteban Loaiza. It's unclear if they've improved on a two-year, $8 million offer. Loaiza asked for $21 million over three years. "Esteban would have liked to return to Washington," agent John Boggs said. "They just haven't developed an offer that's anywhere near competitive to what we think we're going to find in the free agent market. ... Come Friday, all bets are off." Nov. 10 - 3:15 am et Source: Washington Times Mariners GM Bill Bavasi met Wednesday with A.J. Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker, and the talks went "very well," according to Braunecker. It's been assumed by some that Burnett would prefer to play for an East Coast team, but Braunecker said geography was "probably not a factor." If that's the case, the Mariners might have a good of a shot as any team at signing him. They have the money, and Burnett would have to like the idea of continuing to work in a pitcher's park. Nov. 10 - 3:26 am et Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer Mets signed LHP Matt Perisho to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. Perisho had a 2.57 ERA in 25 appearances for the Marlins and Red Sox, but he was let go by each team during the season. He'll be insurance in case the Mets don't get a couple of the lefty relievers they'd prefer to sign this winter. Nov. 10 - 3:34 am et Source: Miami Herald The Marlins are negotiating with free agent Todd Jones, who would like a two-year deal to return to the club. Jones is interested in joining the Braves if things don't work out with the Marlins. If Jones goes, Marlins GM Larry Beinfest indicated that Guillermo Mota could receive another chance to close. If Jones stays, the club probably would have to move Mota's salary. Nov. 10 - 3:37 am et Source: Miami Herald The Marlins talked with the Mariners yesterday, and it's also believed that the Orioles are interested in acquiring Carlos Delgado. Both Seattle and Baltimore lost out on the Delgado sweepstakes a year ago. The runnerup in that race, the Mets, have apparently yet to show interest in Delgado this time, although that could change if they fail to land some of the players they'd prefer to spend their money on. Nov. 10 - 3:40 am et Source: Miami Herald

The Marlins and Cubs have reportedly had preliminary discussions about a deal involving Juan Pierre and Corey Patterson. Just how much payroll do the Marlins have to shed? Part of the problem is that even GM Larry Beinfest doesn't know the answer to that question right now. Pierre will make at least $6 million and probably $7 million-$8 million in arbitration and he's eligible for free agency after next season, so a trade is a possibility. The Cubs' level of interest may depend on whether Rafael Furcal can be signed. Nov. 10 - 3:49 am et Source: Miami Herald Along with Julio Franco, the Mets are also looking at free agent Eduardo Perez as a possible platoonmate for Mike Jacobs at first base. There's nothing wrong with Franco, but Perez and Olmedo Saenz are also available and are probably better choices than Franco for platoon roles. Nov. 10 - 4:04 am et Source: New York Post Hideki Matsui's agent and Yankees GM Brian Cashman met for dinner as expected last night and are scheduled for additional face-to-face negotations in New York on Saturday. It's been reported that the Yankees' first offer to Matsui was for $31.5 million over three years. Matsui is likely to end up accepting a deal worth $11 million-$12 million per season for three or four years. Nov. 10 - 4:09 am et Source: New York Post The Royals, Mariners, Orioles, Yankees and Rockies are all showing interest in free agent Elmer Dessens. The Rockies seem to have made the biggest push and may be prepared to offer him a two-year deal. Nov. 10 - 4:15 am et Source: Kansas City Star Royals GM Allard Baird planned to meet Wednesday night with the agent for free-agent outfielder Jeromy Burnitz. Too old and too not very good. The Royals hardly need Burnitz when they already have Matt Stairs. Nov. 10 - 4:17 am et Source: Kansas City Star The Royals are close to signing free agent Victor Santos to a minor league contract. "He’ll come in and compete for a starting job," GM Allard Baird said. "It’s a very limited free agent market for pitchers, and this adds depth." Santos was surpringly good at times for the Brewers. As long as it's a minor league deal, it'd be a fine signing. Nov. 10 - 4:19 am et Source: Kansas City Star The Royals are pursuing a second baseman because they're convinced Andres Blanco needs additional time in Triple-A. Figured that out all by themselves, they did. Blanco should be no better than the No. 3 option at second base on the roster, but it seems like the Royals have already given up on Ruben Gotay and Donnie Murphy. They'll look at free agents Mark Grudzielanek and Tony Graffanino as replacements. Another possibility is Bret Boone, who met with Royals GM Allard Baird yesterday. Nov. 10 - 4:26 am et Source: Kansas City Star The Red Sox and Padres have discussed a David Wells trade that could include Dave Roberts and a pitcher. Sean Burroughs' name has also been kicked around, but he'd be a better gamble for a team without baseball's No. 2 payroll. It's possible the pitcher would be reliever Akinori Otsuka. Nov. 10 - 4:29 am et Source: Boston.com According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees could pursue Rafael Furcal as a center fielder. That'd hardly fit in with the club's plan to reduce payroll, although it'd be interesting to see the Yankees leave Derek Jeter at shortstop with one more superior defender on the roster. While this is an extreme longshot, you can be sure Furcal's agent would love to see the Yankees involved until the end. Nov. 10 - 4:43 am et Source: FOXSports.com

למעלה