שאלה בסיסית באנגלית

o a k y

שאלה בסיסית באנגלית

Hey everyone, how are you feeling? I have some basic question about the Enlgish lenguage, hope than you could help me 1) When i write a sentence, when i need to put "I'M" or only "I"? I mean, when i talk about myself, when i need to put: "I'M" and when i need to put only "i"? EX: I'm going to the school OR I going to the school? which sentence i need to choose? why? 2) When i use the word IN/ON? EX: when i want to saY: "I study IN/ON my new class" What i need to choose? In OR on? 3) Wehn i say: Would, i mean to something than i thought than will happen - right? Thanks a lot!! Best regards,​

Zenith87

Hi Oaky

1. "I" is a pronoun. I'm = I + am. ("am" is a form of the verb "to be"). You should only put "I'm" where you could also put "I am"; In the example you provided, one needs to say "I am going", since you used the present progressive, which is built with this formula: S + (to be) + Ving. [I am (I'm) going, You are (you're) eating, she is (she's) jumping...] 2. It's hard for me to give you a general answer, but in the sentence you gave, the correct preposition is "in". 3. Off the top of my head, "would" is used in the following circumstances: - The past form of "will" (as in, "He said he would buy me a present." In your example, it could be "I thought the situation would be worse".) - In the second conditional (as in, "If you were taller, you would be allowed on this amusement park ride.") - As a polite substitute for "will" (as in, "Would you shut the door?")​

o a k y

Thanks a lot!!

|קוד|So, i say "I'M" when i talk about any verb - rught? EX: I'm swimming into the pool So, when i use only "I"? 2) mybe someone nknow the answer? Thanks a lot!!

Zenith87

Re:

"I'm" is a subject and a verb. You say "I'm" whenever you need to say "I am". This is part of the (Subject+am/is/are) sequence, which you'll see in all kinds of grammatical structures. This could occur when "to be" is: - The main verb of the sentence in the Present Simple. E.g. "I am (=I'm) so happy", "I am (=I'm) 17 years old", "I am (=I'm) his best friend". The same as "She is so happy", "He's 17 years old", "They're his best friends." - When "to be" is a helping verb o The Present Progressive (e.g. "I'm typing a letter") o The Present Simple - Passive Voice (e.g. "The plants are watered every week", "I am (=I'm) paid at the end of every month") o The Present Progressive - Passive Voice (e.g. "The police are being notified of the robbery as we speak", "At this moment, I am being lectured to by my professor"). So there are a lot of contexts in which you can see (Subject+am/is/are) in general and (I+am) in specific. I hope this was a better answer

Zenith87

And, of course

In English every sentence* must have a verb. Ergo, whenever "to be" is not the verb, something else is; "I ate" (to eat), "he is buying" (to buy), "my brother will wash" (to wash), "she might sell" (to sell), "the police had searched" (to search), "this tool has been used" (to use), "I was paid" (to pay) etc. * Except interjections, like "Hello!" or "Fire!"​

o a k y

אממ נראה לי שהבנתי - ../images/Emo51.gif

|קוד|I am: We use I am when we talk something than we can say with IS/ARE but we talk about ourselves EX: He is runnig I am runnig. We use only I (without am) only to talk about present simple: EX: He runs to the school evey morning I walk to the mall every friday. right? thanks alot!!

Zenith87

Sort of

We use "I" in everything that doesn't have to do with Subject + am/is/are. I ate a sandwich. I will travel to Spain someday. I could score 200 on the Psychometric exam if I really wanted to. Etc.​

o a k y

אוקיי הבנתי.. תודה ../images/Emo13.gif

|קוד| I got it, thanks :) Anyway, i made a paper with so examples about the English grammar. i will be very happy, if someone can check it, and tell me if it's OK or if i need to change something Thanks!

ArielO4

Uh... o a k y

Either type
(and not |קוד|) at the beginning of your posts, or click the "תחילת קוד" button at the bottom of the message field. |קוד| is meaningless, and does NOT align your text to the left.

o a k y

מצטער הנה זה שוב

I got it, thanks :) Anyway, i made a paper with so examples about the English grammar. i will be very happy, if someone can check it, and tell me if it's OK or if i need to change something Thanks!​

למעלה