שרשור השאלות לסטפן מורס

לצערי, לא אהיה כאן בזמן האירוח...

אני מאחל לכולם אירוח מוצלח ו
מראש לקרמרוצקי ולמתארח שלנו, כמובן... ארנון

../images/Emo41.gif../images/Emo41.gif../images/Emo41.gifסיום הארוח End of hosting

Dear Steve, Thank you so much for being here with us this evening (your morning). Isn't it a small world ? We are posing questions to an expert located on the other side of the globe, we get instant (learned) replies. We have learned a lot from you, and hopefully we shall have the honor in seeing you in one of our (reall, not virtual) meetings here in Israel. Yours, Rony​

תרגום לעברית

סטיב היקר, תודה רבה על היותך כאן הערב איתנו (הבוקר שלך). האין זה עולם קטן ? אנחנו מציגים שאלות למומחה הנמצא בצד השני של הגלובוס ומקבלים תשובות מידיות ומלומדות. למדנו רבות ממך, ואנו מקווים שיהיה לנו הכבוד לארח אותך בעתיד באחד ממפגשנו האמיתיים (לא הוירטואליים), כאן בישראל. שלך, רוני

../images/Emo51.gif לאסנת חזן - מתרגמת ועורכת

אסנת תרגמה את החלק הארי של התשובות, בתרגום מקצועי ומשובח, ללא לאות ובנכונות רבה. תודה רבה רבה ויישר כח ! רוני

urjak69

Attempt to locate my uncle's letter

Dear Sir, My late uncle Ctibor JAKUBOVIC (born in 1915 in Revuca, Slovakia and lived there) received a letter from February 27, 1940 from San Francisco Committee For Service To Emigres. It referred to Ctibor’s letter of January 3rd, 1940 to this committee. The Committee’s letter said that it cannot sign the necessary affidavits of support and cannot find anyone willing to sign for a non-relative. Two or three years later Ctibor perished in the Holocaust in Poland. I wonder if one can locate in your archives Tibor’s letter of January 3rd, 1940 to the Committee. Is it possible that there were more letters that Ctibor wrote to the Committee and visa versa? I would appreciate very much your efforts to give me the needed information. In the attached file I enclose a copy of the mentioned Ctibor’s letter. Thank you very much. Uri Jakubovic Jabotinsky 5 Hadera 38400 Israel My e-mail address is: [email protected]

נאוהג

מנועי חיפוש

שלום, הייתי רוצה לדעת יותר לגבי תהליך בניית מנוע חיפוש ,הרי רוב האתרים הללו כמו אליס אילנד מציעים מימשק משתמש אינטגרלי,
האם הם מוכנים לתת גישה למסד הנתונים שלהם לאדם מן החוץ?
בניה של מנוע חיפוש למסד נתונים מחייב ידיעת המבנה בצורה מאד מדוייקת , שוב מהיכן המידע ?
אם אפשר לספק מנוע חיפוש מוצלח יותר ממישק המשתמש של האתרים הללו , למה הם לא מאמצים אותו כמימשק שלהם? תודה נאוה
Hello, I would like to know more about the process of building search engines. most of the sites offer their integrated user interfaces.
Do they let people outside of the organization access their database?
The information needed to build an engine requires a full knowlage of the database structure , where does the information come from ?
If a better search engine can be provided why a site like that doesn't adopt it as it's default user interface? thanks Nava​

Stephen Morse

To Nava

Nava, At first it sounded like you already had a database and wanted to build a search engine for it so that others could search your data. That is covered in the "Creating Your Own Search Forms ..." section of my website. But on second reading I see that you are asking what sort of tricks I play in providing more search features than the site hosting the data provides. That's a more difficult question for me to answer. I do have a talk that I give on this topic (see the "Lectures" link in the Miscellaneous section of my website, and then scroll down to the lecture entitled "Deep Linking and Deeper Linking". It would be too technical for me to go into details, and the talk just shows the sorts of things that are possible for me to do without going into the details of how I do them. Basically they involve passing additional parameters to a site's existing search engine, or even putting a man-in-the-middle between your search request and the site's actual search engine. Websites obviously didn't intend for search applications outside of their website to access the data in that way and certainly would have provided the additional features had they thought of them. Why the didn't provide those features is either due to oversight or perhaps they mistakenly thought that such features would not be useful. I hope that answers your question. -- Steve Morse​

תרגום לעברית - נאוה

נאוה, בתחילה זה נשמע כאילו שכבר יש לך בסיס נתונים ואת רוצה לבנות מנוע חיפוש בשבילו כדי שאחרים יוכלו לחפש בנתונים שלך. הדבר מוסבר ב-"יצירת טפסי חיפוש משלך" באתר שלי. אך בקריאה שנייה אני מבין שאת שואלת מה אני עושה כדי לספק עוד מאפייני חיפוש ממה שהאתר שמארח את הנתונים מספק. זו שאלה שקשה לי יותר לענות עליה. יש לי הרצאה שאני מעביר על נושא זה (ראי קישור "הרצאות" בחלק ה'שונות' באתר שלי, וגלגלי כלפי מטה להרצאה ששמה "Deep Linking and Deeper Linking". זה טכני מכדי לפרט וההרצאה מציגה את הדברים שאני יכול לעשות בלא לפרט איך אני עושה אותם. בעיקרון, הדבר קשור להעברת פרמטרים נוספים למנוע חיפוש קיים של אתר או אף להוספת מתווך בין בקשת החיפוש שלך ומנוע החיפוש של האתר. ברור שאתרים לא מכוונים כך שאפליקציות חיפוש מחוץ לאתר שלהם יגשו לנתונים בדרך זו ובוודאי שסיפקו מאפיינים נוספים שחשוב עליהם. מדוע הם לא סיפקו מאפיינים אלה? מתוך שכחה או אולי מתוך חשיבה מוטעית שמאפיינים כאלה לא יהיו יעילים. אני מקווה שזה עונה על השאלה שלך. סטיב מורס. תרגמה: אסנת חזן

yaelag

lengyel millie

hi Dr. Morse, i tried finding a relative who i know lived in Philadelphia many years ago. she was an immigrant from Hungary and i have her address of the 1970s. i don't know if she is still alive, and i suspect not! i tought i might find anyone who is her kin, but using google and the whitepages.com sites i coudn't find anything. assuming she doe's have family in the States, how can i find them without writing to every Lengel? thanks for your reply. Yael.

Stephen Morse

To Yael

Yeal, Again, answer is the same as the one I gave to Mirka. And don't be afraid to write to every Lengel -- it's not that common a name in the US so you probably won't have too many letters to write.​

תרגום ליעל

יעל, שוב, התשובה לשאלתך היא אותה התשובה שנתתי למירקה. אל תחששי לכתוב לכל LENGEL = זה שם שאינו נפוץ בארצות הברית, כך שכנראה לא תצטרכי לכתוב הרבה מכתבים.

על צבעים ואנשים נעלמים...

שלום, סטפן, אני נרגש מאוד על שאתה מתארח אצלנו
שתי שאלות שנשמעות טכניות, אך יכולות לסייע בהבנת מנועי החיפוש שלך: 1. בטופס הכחול (יהודים), הוספת לאחרונה הערה כי השימוש בו הוא על בסיס מאגר מידע שאינו מתעדכן, וכי מומלץ להשתמש בטופס הלבן (כללי), כדי ליהנות מן הגירסה המעודכנת של המאגר. אם כך, האם חיפוש בטופס הלבן, לאחר שאני מסמן בו "יהודי" בלאום, שקול לחיפוש בטופס הכחול? 2. האם נתקלת במקרים בהם חיפוש מדויק של שם נותן אצלך תוצאות, אך באתר אליס-איילנד, בחיפוש מדויק, אותו אדם אינו מופיע? ולהיפך? אם כן, מהן הסיבות לכך?
ארנון
Hello, Dear Stephen, I'm really excited about you showing here at our place! I have two technical-like questions, but I think they will help me to better understand your search enginges: 1. In your blue form (Jewish), you've recently added a recommendation on using the white form (generic), in order to use the latest version of the database. Does a search in the white form, after checking the "Hebrew (Jewish)" box under "Ethnicity", equivalent to a search in the blue form? 2. Did you hear of any cases in which searching a person with the "exact" spelling gives a result in your search engine, but when doing the same "exact" search in Ellis Island website, the person does not appear? What about the vice versa cases? If the answeris "Yes" - what are the reasons for that? Thanks, Arnon​

zogu

Unknown

Dear Dr. Morse, Welcome! When I do research about my ancestry, I often come across a person on whom I have no previous information, that may give me a lead (such as date of birth, marital surname etc.) or anything that might link him to the family. Nevertheless, it is important to me to retrieve information on that particular person. What else can be done, to your opinion. What search tools do we have for this situation ? (until today, I would just leave tha matter and hoped for the Messiah to come). I hope that your expertise can enlighten me. Thank you !​

Stephen Morse

To Arnon

Arnon, Let me address your two questions. 1. A search on the white form with Hebrew checked is equivalent to a search on the blue form. However the blue form offers many additional way of searching that are not present on the white form. That is the reason the blue form was introduced. Don't be too concerned about the blue form not using the latest version of the database. The Ellis Island people are not finding and correcting errors on their own. Rather they are making corrections when people write to them and report errors. And I would imagine only a very small percentage of people are doing that, so the chances that a name you are researching would have a correction is close to 0. 2. There can be no difference when doing a search on my white search form and doing the equivalent search using the ellisisland.org website directly. The results obtained must be identical because they both use the same search engine. The results using my blue or gray search form might be different because they use my own search engine rather than the search engine on the ellisisland.org site. -- Steve Morse​

תרגום התשובה לארנון

ארנון, הבה ואענה על שתי שאלותיך: 1. חיפוש בטופס לבן תוך סימון 'יהודי' מקביל לחיפוש בטופס הכחול. ואולם, הטופס הכחול מציע דרכים רבות נוספות לחיפוש שאינן קיימות בטופס הלבן. זו הסיבה שהטופס הכחול נוצר. אל תחשוש שהטופס הכחול לא משתמש בגרסה עדכנית של בסיס הנתונים. אנשי אליס איילנד לא מוצאים ומתקנים טעויות בעצמם. אלא הם עורכים תיקונים כשאנשים כותבים אליהם ומדווחים על טעויות. ואני מניח שאחוז קטן מאוד של אנשים עושה זאת, כך שהסיכויים שיהיה תיקון לשם שאתה מחפש קרובים לאפס. 2. אין הבדל כשמבצעים חיפוש בטופס החיפוש הלבן שלי או כשמשתמשים באתר ellisisland.org באופן ישיר. התוצאות המתקבלות חייבות להיות זהות מפני שבשני המקרים משתמשים במנוע חיפוש אחד. תוצאות השימוש בטופס חיפוש כחול או אפור עלולות להיות שונות מפני שהן משתמשות במנוע החיפוש שלי במקום במנוע החיפוש באתר www.ellisisland.org. סטיב מורס

למעלה