אירוח ולרי בזרוב

Dear Udi

Dear Udi, I can probably add to your beautiful and meaningful family tree a story of the Selechnik (Seleshnikov) family. I cannot at this moment to link directly one family to another, but I have the guts feeling that you have common roots. If it is true, you will have another wonderful story of the generartions of struggle to keep the Jewish identity through the communism era and a connection to still another family connection to a family of ALPERT/Seleshnikov originall from Slonim, then Warsaw, then Berdyansk, then USA, Moscow, Siberia and Israel - altogether about 150 new relatives. Happy Shavuot! Valery​

yehudad

תרגום תשובה לחייקין

אודי היקר. אני כנראה יכול להוסיף לעץ המשפחה המשמעותי והיפה שלך את סיפור משפחת Selechnik (Seleshnikov(. אולם אינני יכול, נכון לרגע זה, לקשר בין שתי המשפחות. אבל יש לי תחושת בטן שיש לכם שורשים משותפים. אם זה נכון, יהיה לך סיפור מעניין נוסף של דורות שנאבקו לשימור הזהות היהודית במהלך תקופת הקומוניזם וכן חיבור משפחתי נוסף למשפחת אלפרט (Alpert) שמקורם בסלונים, לאחר מכן ורשה, ברדינסק, ארה"ב, מוסקווה, סיביר וישראל - סה"כ כ-150 קרובים חדשים. שבועות שמח! ולרי

Udi/Rony

What can I tell you? It started as business. The client asked to find what happened with her family that stayed in Russia after her parents (she was born in the USA) immigrated in 1923. I found all she asked for plus ( by pure luck) the story of her family going back to Slonim of XVIII century. The family history of the Selechnik family is part of the story of the Alpert family(does this ring any bells?) which includes the religious persecution, devotion and sacrifice - normal Jewish life in the USSR. It ended personally - I became friends with all living descendants scattered between Omsk in Siberia and Israel with Moscow and New York in between. I will connect you with the direct descendant of the Selechnik > (Seleshnikov) family who lives in Moscow. He, by the way, is the chessplayer of the world class. Best regards, Valery​

UDI

What can I tell you? It started as business. The client asked to find what happened with her family that stayed in Russia after her parents (she was born in the USA) immigrated in 1923. I found all she asked for plus ( by pure luck) the story of her family going back to Slonim of XVIII century. The family history of the Selechnik family is part of the story of the Alpert family(does this ring any bells?) which includes the religious persecution, devotion and sacrifice - normal Jewish life in the USSR. It ended personally - I became friends with all living descendants scattered between Omsk in Siberia and Israel with Moscow and New York in between. I will connect you with the direct descendant of the Selechnik > (Seleshnikov) family who lives in Moscow. He, by the way, is the chessplayer of the world class. Best regards, Valery​

תרגום התשובה לשאלת רוני/אודי

אודי, מה אוכל לומר לך? זה החל כעסק. לקוחה ביקשה לגלות מה קרה למשפחתה שנשארה ברוסיה לאחר שהוריה (היא נולדה בארה"ב) היגרו ב-1923. מצאתי כל מה שהיא ביקשה וכן (לגמרי במקרה) את סיפור משפחתה שנסעה לסלונים במאה ה-18. ההיסטוריה המשפחתית של משפחת סלצ'ניק היא חלק מהסיפור של משפחת אלפרט (האם זה נשמע מוכר?) שכוללת רדיפות על רקע דתי, מסירות והקרבה - חיים יהודיים רגילים בבירה"מ. הדבר הסתיים באופן אישי - התיידדתי עם כל הצאצאים החיים שהתפזרו בין אומסק בסיביר ובין ישראל ומוסקבה וניו יורק ביניהן. אקשר אותך עם הצאצא הישיר של משפחת סלצ'ניק (סלשניקוב) שגר במוסקבה. דרך אגב, הוא שחקן השחמט בעל שם עולמי.

תרגום לעברית

ולרי היקר, מה אני יכול לומר ? השארת אותי פעור פה. תודה רבה לך. אני ממתין להודעתך, אנא השמש בכתובת הדוא"ל שלי.... בברכה חמה, אודי

מקורות לחיפוש ענפים אבודים בארה"ב

שלום, ולרי. אני נרגש מאוד מן האירוח שלך אצלנו
רבים מאיתנו (וביניהם אני) נתקלים בענפים אבודים, אשר היגרו לארה"ב (על פי רוב סביב תחילת המאה ה - 20), והקשר עמם אבד. המאגרים הראשונים שאנו מנצלים הם אלו של "אליס איילנד" ושל מפקדי האוכלוסין. לעתים תכופות, אנו נתקעים שם, או לא מוצאים דרך להמשיך משם, והסיבות לכך רבות: אי מציאת המשפחות במאגרים אלו, חוסר ידיעה לגבי שם נישואים של קרובת משפחה, אי ידיעת שם המשפחה האמריקאי שאומץ, העובדה שהיו רק בנות, פטירתו של אדם לפני עריכת רשימות ה - SSDI, וכו'... אם כך, מהם המקורות אשר עומדים לרשותכם במקרים אלו, ומהם הנתונים הבסיסיים אשר עליכם לקבל, על מנת לבצע חיפוש יעיל? בנוסף, האם מציאת פרטים אצלכם מסייעת בחיפוש צאצאים חיים של המהגרים ו/או במציאת מידע אודות חייהם בטרם ההגירה
תודה, ארנון
Hello, Dear Vallery. I'm really excited about your hosting here! Many of us (including me) have lost family branches in the USA, mostly of people immigrated around the 1900s. First, we check the Ellis Island DB and the federal censuses. Often, we found ourselves "stuck" there or can't find ourselves forward, for many reasons: not finding the family at all, not knowing the marriage surname of a female relative, not knowing the American surname adopted, the family had only daughters, the relatives died before conducting the SSDI, etc... So, what are the sources you have in such cases, and what are the basic details we should supply in order to find them? Further, does finding a person in your lists help us with finding details about his/her living descendants and/or about his/her "previous life" before the immigration? Thanks, Arnon​

Arnon

Dear Arnon, I love your questions, to answer them I need to tell you all secrets of our profession, which of course I will be happy to share. We are not wizards (unfortunately!), and we hit the same brick walls all other people hit, and sometimes we are lost, confused and frustrated. But we never give up. We never close our cases, because today we know a little bit more than yesterday and who knows what tomorrow holds for us. So, being Jewish let me instead of giving you an answer, ask you some more questions. Even if you cannot find the name you are looking for in EIDB, it does not mean it is not there. So, what search engine do you use, traditional or advanced (Stephen Morse)? Do you use all options Ancestry.com offers? Did you check in JewishGen the other researchers, who search the same name or the same town? Did you try city directories for different years? Did you try Surrogate courts, even if you do not know the exact year of death, but the city is known? Did you try immigration archives? I could go on and on. Instead, I suggest that you have a look at the book, recently published by the JGS of NY: Genealogical Resources in New York, the most comprehensive genealogical and biographical resources in New York and Albany. What if "your people" do not have anything to do with NY? Just the names of the archives and the contents of their collections could prompt to a new step in your search. Good luck to you, Valery​

תרגום התשובה לארנון

ארנון היקר, אני אוהב את השאלות שלך, כדי לענות עליהן עליי לספר לך את כל סודות המקצוע שלנו, ובזה כמובן אשמח לשתף אותך. אנו לא קוסמים (לרוע המזל!) ואנו מכים באותם קירות שאנשים אחרים מכים, ולפעמים אנו אבודים, מבולבלים ומתוסכלים. אך אנו לעולם לא נכנעים. לעולם איננו עוזבים את העניין, מפני שהיום אנו יודעים מעט יותר ממה שידענו אתמול ומי יודע מה צופן לנו המחר. לכן, היותי יהודי מאפשר לי במקום לענות לך, לשאול אותך עוד שאלות. אף אם אינך יכול למצוא את השם שאתה מחפש באתר של אליס איילנד, אין פירוש הדבר שהוא לא שם. באיזה מנוע חיפוש אתה משתמש, מסורתי או מתקדם (סטפן מורס)? האם אתה משתמש בכל האפשרויות ש-Ancestry.com מציע? האם בדקת עם החוקרים האחרים בג'ואישגן, שמחפשים שם או עיר דומה? האם ניסית לחפש במדריכי ערים בשנים שונות? האם ניסית לברר אחר תיקי ירושה ? אף אם אינך יודע את שנת הפטירה המדויקת, אך העיר ידועה? האם ניסית לחפש בארכיוני הגירה? יכולתי להמשיך הלאה והלאה. במקום זאת, אני מציע שתבדוק בספר שהתפרסם בעת האחרונה בידי JGS (האגודה הגנאולוגית היהודית) של ניו יורק: Geneological Resources in New York, the most comprehensive genealogical and biographical resources in NY and Albay. מה אם ל"אנשים שלך" אין כלום עם ניו יורק? רק שמות הארכיונים ותכני האוספים שלהם יכולים לעודד אותך לצעד חדש בחיפוש שלך. שיהיה לך בהצלחה, ולרי תרגמה: אסנת חזן

חייקין

CHAIKIN / BRODSKY of Kiev gubernia

Dear V. My great great aunt, Sara (nee CHAIKIN) who was born between 1862 - 1866, married a nephew of Lazer BRODSKY (the sugar king) of Kiev. Her parents and most of her siblings left Russia in 1886, and we have no idea with regard to her destiny... Maybe she died short time after her wedding? Maybe left to the US? No idea... Best regards, Udi Cain (Chaikin)​

ובעברית...

ולרי היקר, אחותו של סב-סבי, שרה חייקין, ילידית 1866-1862, נישאה לאחיינו של לייזל ברודצקי (מלך הסוכר) מקייב, אוקראינה. הוריה ורוב אחיה עזבו את רוסיה בשנת 1886, ואין לנו מושג מה עלה בגורלה... ייתכן שנפטרה זמן קצר לאחר החתונה, ייתכן שהגיעה לארצות הברית... שום מושג! בברכה, אודי קיין (חייקין)

../images/Emo13.gif2 שאלות...

1. My paternal grandfather, Jacob Kalderon (born 1912, Travnik, Former Yugoslavia) was a partizan during WWII. After the war the family tried to find his traces but unsuccessfully. Where can I search information concerning him? 2. My maternal grandfather's family (Lewkowicz) lived in Bytom, Poland (and later on in Oswiecim). However, from Yad Vashem's database I learned that they were born in Chrzanow. How can you explain that? Also, I didn't succeed in finding information about the family prior to my grandfather's parents (Izac wolf Lewkowicz and Yocheved Hochbaum) nor information concerning their brothers and sisters. What do you suggest? Thank you for your help!​

שכחתי את העברית...

1. סבי מצד אבי, יעקב קלדרון (נולד ב-1912, טרווניק, יוגוסלביה לשעבר) היה פרטיזן במלחה"ע השנייה. לאחר המלחמה המשפחה ניסתה לחפש אחריו אך בלא הצלחה. איפה אוכל לחפש מידע עליו? 2. משפחתו של סבי מצד אמי, משפחת לבקוביץ', גרה בבויטן, פולין (ובהמשך באושווינצ'ם). אך מדפי העד ביד ושם גיליתי שהם נולדו בכשנוב. איך תוכל להסביר זאת? לא הצלחתי למצוא מידע על המשפחה לפני הוריו של סבי (יצחק זאב לבקוביץ ויוכבד הוכבאום) ולא מידע על אחיהם או אחיותיהם. מה אתה מציע? תודה על העזרה!

To Osnat

1) about Jacob Kalderon. Answer Could you tell me how the family tried to trace Jacob Kalderon. What did they do? I do not want to send you where you already had been. 2) Difference in th places of birth. Yad Vashem database give the information based on what was submitted by other people. The mistaked happen. 3) Family search. Again, I cannot suggest anything until I know what you tried. Valery​

תרגום לעברית

לגבי יעקב קלדרון: האם תוכלי לומר לי כיצד משפחתך ניסתה לאתר את יעקב קלדרון ? מה הם עשו? אינני רוצה לשלוח אותך למקום שכבר הייתם בו. לגבי השוני במקומות הלידה: במאגר של יד ושם נמסר המידע בהתבסס על מה שנמסר על ידי מוסרי העדות. טעויות קורות. לגבי חיפוש משפחה: אינני יכול להציע דבר עד שאדע מה כבר ניסיתם. תרגם: רוני

תודה...

Thank you very much for the answer. As for Jacob Kalderon, I do not know how the family tried to trace him, I just know that they did it. Also, family members kept on living in Sarajevo and were very active in the jewish community there until 1991 and he never showed up. As for Lewkowicz from Beuthen/Chrzanow. Different family members at different years (1956, 1998,1999) sent testimony pages claiming the same thing, so I assume it is not a mistake. Can you explain why they lived in Beuthen and born in Chrzanow?​
ובעברית: תודה רבה לך על התשובה. באשר ליעקב קלדרון, איני יודעת מה המשפחה עשתה כדי לאתר את עקבותיו, אלא רק שעשו זאת. בני משפחה המשיכו לגור בסרייבו והיו פעילים מאוד בקהילה היהודית עד 1991 והוא לא חזר מעולם. לבקוביץ מבויטן / כשנוב - בני משפחה שונים בשנים שונות (1956, 1998, 1999) שלחו ל'יד ושם' דפי עד עם אותם פרטים, לכן אני מניחה שזו לא טעות. תוכל להסביר מדוע הם גרו בבויטן ונולדו בכשנוב? תודה,

למעלה