אירוח פרופ' גיימנט

ענתר

אשמח אם תעזרו בתרגום, ולכל תיקון

לפרפ' גיימנט שלום רב יש בידי העתק מסמך שהוצא לקרוב משפחה בשנת 1941 ובו רישום עשרת ילדיהם של יעקב פישר ורחל שוורץ מהכפר Magyargteromonostor Manastireni, האישור הוצא ב Banffihunyad Heudin שנת הלידה של הבן הראשון: 1837ןהאחרון: 1864 וזו גם השנה בה נפטר. הייתי מעוניינת במידע אחורה בשנים: האם יש מקום בו ניתן למצוא עוד פרטים על יעקב ורחל שוורץ כדוגמה אישורי פטירה שלהם, שבהם אולי יוזכר שם האב. וכמובן ישמח מאוד אישור חתונתם או לידתם, ללמוד מהיכן הם הגיעו לכפר זה. ןמידע קדימה בשנים: עם חלק מילדיהם אבד הקשר המשפחתי, וכמובן הייתי רוצה ללמוד מי היו ילדיהם. בתודה מראש ענת רוזן

תרגום לאנגלית

Shalom Prof. Gyemant, I hold a document that was issued in 1941 to a relative of mine. The document lists the 10 children of Yakov Fischer & Rachel Schwartz from the village of Magyargteromonostor Manastireni. The certificate was issued in Banffihunyad Heudin. The first child was born in 1837 and the last in 1864 (in which he also died). I am interested in getting some information for previous years: -Where can I find more details about Yakov & Rachel Schwartz (such as their death certificate), in which the name of the father is likely to appear ? Where can I find their marriage certificate or listing and/or their birth listing. I believe these certificates will give me some information about their origin and where did they come from. I am also interested in getting information about recent information : Since the family contact with some of their children was lost, I would like to learn who their children were. Thanking you in advance, Anat Rosen​

AntaR

The registers of vital records for Transylvania where Mănăstireni and Huedin belong, begin with the year 1850. These are rabinical registers and are preserved only for places where existed a rabbi. Another problem with the mentioned area is that in the Holocaust period the Community archives where mostly destroyed, so that today we have only remnants of registers collected in the Communist period in the regional branches of the State Archives. For our specific case the respective registers are those of the rabbi from Cluj and are preserved in the County Direction of the Romanian National Archives from Cluj. Beginning with 1895 the state registers where introduced which included the vital events ( births, marriages and deaths) for all inhabitants of a place of every religious denomination and are preserved in the town hall of the respective place. So, beginning with 1895 until today there are preserved such state registers both in Mănăstireni and Huedin. In our specific case, there are no chances to find birth or marriage registrations for Yakov and Rachel Schwartz from the period prior to 1837 when their first child was born. Until 1850 when the rabinical registering begins we have only Census records which could include their names with informations concerning the age, profession, properties, taxes paid. Another possibility is a later registration of their birth or marriage ( I have met such situations in the registers). The birth registration of their children could also include the birthplace of the parents. The death records could be found in the rabinical registers from Cluj. I would like to mention that in Mănăstireni is preserved a Jewish cemetery and maybe are preserved there their gravestones. Further research concerning the family is possible for the children and their children etc. in the mentioned rabinical and state registers.​

תרגום לעברית

רשומות מרשם האוכלוסין לטרנסילבניה, לשם שייכות מנשטירני והודין, מתחילות בשנת 1850. אלו הם רישומים רבניים והם קיימים רק במקום בהם כיהן רב. בעיה אחרת עם אזור זה היא שבתקופת השואה, רוב ארכיוני הקהילה נהרסו, כך שכיום נותרו בידינו רק שרידים של הרישומים, שנאספו בתקופה הקומוניסטית בסניפים של ארכיון המדינה. לגבי המקרה הספציפי עליו את שואלת, הרישומים הנוגעים בדבר הם אלו של הרב של קלוז' (Cluj) והם שמורים בסניף המחוזי של הארכיון הלאומי בקלוז' (County Direction of the Romanian National Archives ). החל בשנת 1895, הרישומים החלו לכלול אירועים משמעותיים (לידות, נישואין ופטירות) לכל התושבים של המקום, מכל דת, והם שמורים בעירייה של המקום הנוגע בדבר. כך, שמתחילת 1895 ועד היום יש רישומים ששמורים גם במנשטירני וגם בהוידין. במקרה שלך, אין כל סיכוי למצוא רישומי לידה או נישואין לגבי יעקב ורחל שוורץ לתקופה שלפני 1837 כאשר נולד ילדם הראשון. עד ל - 1850 כאשר הרישומים הרבניים החלו, יש לנו רק רישומי תושבים (צנזוס) שעשויים לכלול את שמותיהם עם מידע הנוגע לגיל, מקצוע, נכסים, מיסים ששולמו. אפשרות אחרת היא רישום מאוחר של לידה או נישואין (נתקלתי במקרים כאלה ברישומים). רישומי הלידה של ילדיהם עשויים לכלול את מקום לידת ההורים. לגבי רישומי פטירה - אותם ניתן למצוא ברישומים הרבניים מקלוז'. ברצוני להזכיר שבמנשטירני נשמר בית הקברות היהודי ויתכן שמצבותיהם קיימות. מחקר נוסף בקשר למשפחתם אפשרי לגבי ילדיהם וצאצאיהם ברישומים הרבניים והארכיונים הנזכרים לעיל. תרגם: רוני

נאוהג

KRITENBERGER

My husband's family Kritenberger originates from Petrova ( now in Romania near the Ukranian border, in the past part of Hungary). Some write the name With a C some with a K . The question is : what does the name mean ( we simply translate it to chalk mountain ) ? Why should someone take a name like that ( It doesn't sgnify any profession or occupation ) ? The changes of C and K do they mean the family arrived from some where else and it was changed to keep the pronaonciation ? Some omit the ER and call themselves Kritenberg , is this also common? what does the Er stand for? Thank you Nava Giron​
משפחתו של בעלי קריטנברגר מקורה בעיירה פטרובה כעת ברומניה סמוך לגבול עם אוקראינה בעבר חלק מהונגריה. חלק כוצתבים את השם ב- K וחלק ב- C. השאלה היא: מה משמעות השם? ( אנחנו סתם מתרגמים להר גיר) למה יאמץ לו משהו שם כנ"ל הוא אינו מציין מקצוע/עיסוק? האם ההחלפות בין K ל- C מרמזות שהמשפחה הגיעה ממקום אחר ושינו את הכתיב כדי לשמור על ההגיה /צליל? כמה משמיטים את ה- ER ושמם קריטנברג . האם זה נפוץ? מה משמעות ה- ER? תודה נאוה גירון

Kreitenberg

Kritenberger means somebody originary from Kritenberg. This could be a place from Germany or Bohemia. From there many Jewish families imigrated in Hungary and Transylvania, including Maramureş where Petrova is situated. The orthography with C or K has no other significance but the linguistic skills of the clerks who registrated them for the first time. If it was a Romanian clerk in his language C corresponds to K and usually the registration happening upon the oral statement of the respective persons in the 19th century Kritenberg became Critenberg and remained so in the followings too. The final -er means originary from - in our case Kritenberg. I would like to mention that the registers of vital records for Petrova are preserved in the County Branch Maramureş of the Romanian National Archives from Baia Mare and for the period after 1895 in the Town Hall from Petrova.​

תרגום לעברית

משמעות השם "קרייטנברגר" היא "מישהו שמוצאו מקרייטנברג". יתכן שזה מקום בגרמניה או בוהמיה. יהודים רבים היגרו משם להונגריה ולטרנסילבניה, כולל מרמורש (שבה נמצאת פטרובה). לגבי חילופי האותיות "סי" ו"קיי", הרי שאין לכך כל משמעות והיא מעידה על מיומנותם הלשונית של הפקידים אשר ערכו את הרישום הראשון. אם היה זה פקיד רומני, הרי שבשפתו האות "סי" מקבילה לאות "קיי" ובדרך כלל הרישום התבצע על סמך הצהרה בעל פה של האדם הנוגע בדבר. כך שבמאה ה- 19 "קרייטנברג" עם האות "קיי" הפך ל"כרייטנברג" עם האות "סי" ונשאר כך ברישומים הבאים. הסיומת "אר" משמעה "מ" - ובמקרה שעליו את שואלת מקרייטנברג. ברצוני לציין שרישומי האוכלוסין של פטרובה שמורים בסניף המחוזי של מרמורש של הארכיון הלאומי הרומני, המצוי בעיר באייה-מרה ולגבי התקופה שלאחר 1895 הם נמצאים בבית העירייה בפטרובה. תרגם: רוני

רקלרקל

SELETINE SYLETIN סלטין

Shalom I would like to know where can i find any information about the town SELETINE [SYLETIN] In Bukovina, Was inAustro-Hungaria, then in Romania, now Ukraine. and about people that lived there. Thanks a lot. שלום. מבקשת לדעת אינפורנציה על העיר סלטין, בוקובינה. פעם אוסטרו-הונגריה, אח"כ רומניה, עכשיו באוקראינה. וכן על האנשים שחיו בה. בהרבה תודה.

Selestine

For Bukovina the registering of vital events begins with the year 1850 and was the task of the religious denominations. So for the Jewish inhabitants the rabbis had this task and registers are preserved only for the places where existed a rabbi. He registered the vital events ( births, marriages and deaths) for the Jews of the neighborhood too. For the part of Bukovina which today is in Romania the rabinical registers are preserved in the County Branch Suceava of the Romanian National Archives. There are such registers preserved for Suceava, Rădăuţi, Gura Humorului and Câmpulung. Researching in these registers I have met vital events refering to people originary from Seletin, but there are not specific registers for this town. Other informations could be found in Ukraine, in the archives from Czernowitz, but this is not my area of expertise. The best researcher for that area is Miriam Weiner.​

תרגום לעברית

בבוקובינה, רישום אירועי האוכלוסין החל בשנת 1850 והיה תפקידם של מוסדות הדת. לכן, בשביל התושבים היהודים, הרבנים מילאו תפקיד זה והרישומים נשמרו רק במקומות שבהם היה רב. הוא רשם את האירועים (לידות, נישואין ומוות) גם בשביל יהודי האזור. באשר לחלק של בוקובינה שהיום שייך לרומניה, הרישומים הרבניים מצויים בסניף המחוזי סוקבה של הארכיון הלאומי הרומני ( County Branch Suceava of the Romanian National Archives). יש רישומים שנשמרו של סוקבה, רדאוטי, גורה הומורלואי וקמפולונג. כשבדקתי רישומים אלה נתקלתי באירועים המתייחסים לאנשים מסלטין, אך אין רישומים מיוחדים לעיר זו. אפשר למצוא מידע אחר באוקראינה, בארכיוני צ'רנוביץ, אך זה לא תחום התמחותי. החוקרת הטובה ביותר לאזור זה היא מרים ויינר. תרגמה: אסנת חזן

מחקר בארכיוני רומניה

שלום רב, פרופ' גיימנט! 1. לפני כשנה, שמענו כי ארכיוני רומניה סגרו שעריהם בפני גנאלוגים יהודיים. האם יש בסיס לשמועה זו
2. האם כיום ניתן לבקש חומר מארכיוני רומניה בתכתובת דואר/דוא"ל ולצפות לתשובה? אם כן - מהו הנוהל לכך
3. האם ישנו מדריך מסודר (ואולי אף מקוון) לגבי המצאי של ארכיוני רומניה (דוגמת הפרוייקט הנפלא של מריים ויינר), שיסייע לנו לדעת איזה חומר נמצא היכן
תודה, ארנון
Hello, Prof. Gyemant! 1. About a year ago, we've heard that the Romanian archives had prevented the access of Jewish genealogists to their various branches. Does this rumor have any base? 2. Is it possible today to get information about archival materials from the Romanian archives by e-mail/snail-mail correspondence? If yes - what is the exact procedure for doing that? 3. Is there any organized (and maybe even online) guide to the holdings of the Romanian archives (like the great project of Miriam Weiner), so we're able to see what is the material that exist and where is it? Thanks, Arnon​

Arnon

a. Yes, it is right that about one year ago the access to the registers of vital records in the Romanian archives for Jewish genealogical research became very difficult. The official motivation for this was the prescription of the Romanian Law of Archives concerning the protection of the informations concerning personal intimacy. But the mentioned law has forbidden the access only to the information newer than 100 years. This was abusively extended to all Jewish genealogical information. The actual explanation is the issue of the recovery of Jewish properties which worried the authorities. They were afraid that the informations will serve for such purposes. This year, after the elections, it is a certain improvement but not everywhere and usually depending on the personal goodwill or lack of it of the local archive clerks. b-c. The answer is cathegorically no. Every attempt to open the information concerning the existing registers or other resources was rejected by the archives. They did not accepted the Mormons to microfilm the registers as they did in Hungary for example. The proposal to publish in cooperation with the archives a repertory of the registers of vital records as Miriam Weiner did for Poland, Ukraine and Moldova was refused too. I would like to mention as a curiosity that it is even forbidden for the researchers to enter in the archives with a laptop!​

תרגום התשובה לארנון

א. כן, נכון שלפני כשנה הגישה לרישומי האוכלוסין בארכיוני רומניה למטרת מחקר גנאלוגי יהודי נעשתה קשה מאוד. המניע הרשמי לכך היה צו של חוק הארכיונים הרומני המתייחס להגנה על מידע בעל אופי פרטי. אך החוק הנזכר אסר רק את הגישה למידע בן פחות ממאה שנה. הדבר הורחב לכל המידע הגנאלוגי היהודי. ההסבר האמיתי הוא עניין ההחזרה של נכסים יהודיים שהדאיג את הרשויות. הם חששו שהמידע ישרת מטרות כאלה. השנה, לאחר הבחירות, יש שיפור ניכר אך לא בכל מקום ובדרך כלל הדבר תלוי ברצון טוב או בחוסר רצון של פקידי הארכיון המקומי. ב-ג. התשובה שלילית באופן חד משמעי. כל ניסיון לפתוח את המידע הקשורים לרישומים קיימים או למקורות אחרים נדחה בידי הארכיונים. הם לא הסכימו שהמורמונים יצלמו את הרישומים כפי שעשו בהונגריה למשל. גם ההצעה לפרסם בשיתוף עם הארכיונים את מלאי רישומי האוכלוסין, כפי שמרים ויינר עשתה בפולין, אוקראינה ומולדובה, נדחתה. ברצוני להזכיר שאסור לחוקרים אפילו להיכנס לארכיונים עם מחשב נישא. תרגמה: אסנת חזן

נאוהג

POSNER/ROSNER

My mother-in-low was born in Kimpolung Bokovina in 1923, Her brother was born in 1908. Her mother was born there around 1875. Her father came from Wien. This sounded to me quite interesting as it is far away, I know it was part of the Austo-Hungarian Empire.
What kind of comunication existed in that time?
What kind of connections were among Jewish comunities at the time ?
Would it be logical for someone to travell so far to get married? My mother- in- low insists that the name Posner is equivallent to the name Rosner. I saw her late brother's identity card and he wrote Posner\Rosner, The rest wrote only Rosner.
What is the reason for the use of P and R as equivallent? Thank you Nava Giron​
חמותי נולדה בקימפולונג , בוקובינה ב -1923, אחיה נולד שם ב- 1908 . אמה נולדה בסביבות 1875. אביה הגיע מוינה ,אוסטריה. זה נשמע לי מעניין מאחר שהמרחק בין שני המקומות הוא רב, למרות ששניהם היו באמפריה האוסטרו- הונגרית.
אילו אמצעי תקשורת היו אז באמפריה האוסטרו- הונגרית?
אילו קשרים היו בין קהילות יהודיות באותו זמן?
האם זה נראה שמשהו יסע כל כך רחוק כדי להנשא? חמותי מתעקשת שהשם רוזנר והשם פוזנר הם זהים. הזדמן לי לראות את תעודת הזיהוי של אחיה ( שנפטר בינתיים ) ושם הוא רשום באמת רוזנר/פוזנר , שאר בני המשפחה רשומים רוזנר.
מה הסיבה להחלפה בין P ל- R? תודה נאוה גירון

Posner

In the second half of the 19th century the railway network extended in the whole Austro-Hungarian Empire, so that it was no problem to travel by train from Vienna to Suceava and Câmpulung. The communication between the Jewish communities in the Empire was without any difficulties especially after 1867 when the Jews obtained full civil rights. As concerns the reasons for coming from Vienna in Bukovina, before 1867 there were several restrictions concerning the Jews from Austria or Bohemia concerning their professional career or the possibility to marry. There were restrictions concerning the number of Jewish families admitted to live in the capital of the Empire. In a Jewish family was admitted the marriage of one single son. That is why many other Jews moved in Hungary, Transylvania or Bukovina where such restrictions did not existed or were not respected very strictly. After 1867, when the Jews became full citizens of the Empire they travelled in these provinces for professional reasons, for business opportunities etc. and in many cases they married there. The difference Posner-Rosner has no significance as meaning. It is possible that a local clerk registering upon oral statement wrote the name in one form or another and it remained so in the followings too.​

תרגום לעברית

במחצית השנייה של המאה ה-19 רשת הרכבות התרחבה לכל האימפריה האוסטרו-הונגרית, לכן לא היתה בעיה לנסוע ברכבת מווינה לסוצ'אבה וקמפולונג. התקשורת בין הקהילות היהודיות באימפריה התנהלה בלא קשיים במיוחד לאחר 1867 כשהיהודים קיבלו זכויות אזרח מלאות. באשר לסיבות ההגעה מווינה בבוקובינה, לפני 1867 היו כמה הגבלות על יהודים מאוסטריה או בוהמיה הנוגעות לקריירה המקצועית שלהם או לאפשרות להינשא. היו הגבלות הנוגעות למספר המשפחות היהודיות שהורשו לגור בבירת האימפריה. במשפחה יהודית, הותרו נישואיו של בן אחד בלבד. זו הסיבה שיהודים רבים אחרים עברו להונגריה, טרנסילווניה או בוקובינה, שם לא היו הגבלות כאלה או שהן לא נאכפו בקפדנות. לאחר 1867, כשהיהודים קיבלו אזרחות מלאה באימפריה, הם נעו במחוזות אלה מסיבות מקצועיות, לאפשרויות עסקיות וכיו"ב ובמקרים רבים הם נישאו שם. להבדל בין פוזנר ורוזנר אין משמעות מבחינת הפירוש. ייתכן שפקיד מקומי כתב על פי הצהרה בעל-פה את השם בדרך זו או אחרת והדבר נותר כך גם הלאה. תרגמה: אסנת חזן

shaham01

עוד על ארכיונים ברומניה

Shalom, I'd like to ask a few questions about Romanian Archives: 1. In 2001 I visited Romania and obtained the permission to visit several branches of the National Archives for research purposes. I still have the permit which is not limited by dates whatsoever. Does it mean that I can visit again and use the permit I have or do I need to obtain a new one? 2. Are there any plans to digitize the vital records in Romanian Archives and make them accessible to researcher on the web, in a manner similar to the Polish records? 3. If the Romanian authorities do not have such plans, would they respond to an initiative towards that goal put up by an organization like JewishGen? Thank you in advance for your response, Rony​
שלום, ברצוני לשאולכמה שאלות על ארכיונים ברומניה: 1. ב- 2001 ביקרתי ברומניה וקבלתי מראש אישור לבקר ולחקור בכמה סניפים של הארכיון הלאומי הרומני. האישור עדיין ברשותי והוא אינו מוגבל בתאריכים כלשהם. האם פירוש הדבר שאוכל להשתמש באותו אישור בעת ביקור נוסף או שעלי לקבל אישור חדש? 2. האם יש תוכניות למחשב ולאפשר גישה ברשת לרשומות לידה, נישואין, מוות בארכיון הרומני כדוגמת הארכיונים הפולניים? 3. אם לשלטונות רומניה אין כוונה כזאת, האם יהיו פתוחים ליוזמה בנושא מצד גוף כמו הג'ואישג'ן? תודה מראש על תשובותיך, רוני

Rony

a. If you have the Romanian nationality you can renew the permit directly at the local branch of the archives you would like to visit. If you are foreign citizen the procedure is to send a written application to the General Direction of the National Archives in Bucharest indicating the purpose of your visit and the archival material you would like to research. They will check up with the local branch if the material exists and will answer in 30 days to your request ( upon the book! If you are lucky enough it works). b. For the moment I do not know about such initiatives. Until now the leadership of the archives refused any discussion on this matter. Let see what will bring the future after the important political changes occured in Romania after the last elections...​

למעלה