ברוכה הבאה, סליאן, אל ביתנו

Sallyann

Talia Olav

I have never heard this. The way to find out is to write and ask. It is important also to read what Miriam has written on the home page of www.rtrfoundation.org. Her information comes from archivists themselves. It certainly is possible that JHI may have copies of something that are not in archives, but I have never heard (and seriously doubt) that it holds copies of all Jewish vital records from Poland. Remember also that some Jewish community records never were held by governmental archives because there was no legal reason for them to do so. Thus, it is possible that JHI has records not found in archives. I should also mention--and this is important to say somewhere--the JRI-Poland does not include all records in Poland and never has claimed that it does. Their indexes only reflect the many (about 2.3 million) records that it has indexed to date.​

Sallyann

More to Talia

I just checked with someone who visits Poland (and the JHI ) every year. He assures me that this rumor is absolutely untrue! Sallyann​

התשובה בעברית

מעולם לא שמעתי על כך. הדרך לברר זאת היא לכתוב ולשאול. כמו כן חשוב לקרוא מה מרים וינר כתבה בעמוד הבית של האתר שלה www.rtrfoundation.org. המידע שלה מגיע מהארכיבאים עצמם. בהחלק אפשרי שלמכון להסטוריה יהודית יש עותקים של חומרים שאינם נמצאים בארכיונים עצמם, אבל מעולם לא שמעת (ואני מפקפקת בכך ברצינות) שיש להם עותקים של כל רישומי האוכלוסין הנוגעים ליהודי פולין. זכרי שרישומים הנוגעים לקהילות יהודיות מסויומות מעולם לא הוחזקו בידי האריכונים הממשלתיים, משום שלא היתה להם סיבה משפטית לעשות כן. כך שיתכן שלמכון ההסטורי היהודי יש רישומים שאין בארכיונים. עלי גם להזכיר, וחשוב לומר זאת, שב – JRI- Poland אין את כל הרשומות בפולין והם מעולם טענו שיש להם את כל הרשומות. האינדקסים שלהם משקפים את הכמות הרבה של הרשומות (כ – 2.3 מליון) שהם מיפתחו עד היום. תרגם: רוני

תוספת לתשובה ל- TALIA OLAV

זה עתה בדקתי עם מישהו אשר מבקר כל שנה בפולין (וגם במכון ההסטורי היהודי). הוא הבטיח לי נאמנה שזוהי שמועה שאין בה אמת ! סליאן תרגם: רוני

רותם39

ELIAS(H)BERG RABBIS

Dear Sallyann, During the past ten years I have been trying to find out whether my g-g-grandfather Rav Mordechai Eliashberg (b. 1817 Cekiskes, d. 1889 Bauska) was related to the Eliasberg rabbis from Ivenets, Minsk region. It is clear that they knew each other, since Rav Mordechai attended the Yeshiva of Volozhin (1831-1836) which was supported by the Eliasberg families of Ivenets. I have become an "Elias(h)bergs collector" and among other things, I have various records from the archives in Kovno and Riga, and have read the relevant chapters in the books by Neil Rosenstein as well as other books. Do you have any new creative idea what else can I do in order to verify (or reject) the conjecture that these two branches are linked? Thank you.​

רותם39

בעברית - הרבנים לבית אלישברג

שלום סליאן, במהלך עשר השנים האחרונות ניסיתי לברר האם יש קשר משפחתי בין סב-סבי הרב מרדכי אלישברג (נולד 1817 בצ'יקישוק, נפטר 1889 בבאוסקה) לבין הרבנים ממשפחת אלישברג מאיווניץ. אין כל ספק שהם הכירו, היות והרב מרדכי אלישברג למד בישיבה בוולוז'ין (1831-1836) שנתמכה באותן שנים ע"י משפחת אלישברג מאיווניץ. במהלך השנים נעשיתי "אספנית של אלישברגים" מכל העולם. בין יתר הדברים, יש לי תעודות מהארכיונים בקובנה וריגה, וכמו-כן גם קראתי את הפרקים הרלבנטיים בספרו של ניל רוזנשטיין ובספרים אחרים. האם יש לך רעיון יצירתי חדש מה עוד ניתן לעשות על מנת להוכיח (או לשלול) את ההשערה על קיום קשר משפחתי בין שני הענפים האלה? תודה רבה.

Sallyann

Rotem39

Your question is a variant on the many questions that say something like "We have always heard that we are related to....[fill in any famous name] what should I do? The answer is always the same: Do your genealogy systematically, step by step, back one generation at a time. Be sure to include the names of all siblings, cousins etc. Eventually, if you are related, you will find the connection. In addition, some people try to "short-cut" the process by doing the genealogy of the second, famous person. In your case, that would be the Ivenets rabbis. The "danger" in collecting information about all Eliasbergs is that you might end up hopelessly confused. But if you want to continue to do that, consult the chapter on rabbinic research in the Avotaynu Guide to Jewish Genealogy, written by Chaim Freedman of Petah Tikva. It includes a huge, annotated bibliography. And if you want to consult Freedman personally, his e-mail address is [email protected].​

תרגום לעברית

השאלה שלה היא עוד גרסה לשאלות רבות בסגנון, "תמיד שמענו שאנו קרובים ל... (מלא שם מפורסם כלשהו). מה עליי לעשות?" התשובה היא תמיד דומה: ערכי את המחקר הגנאלוגי שלך באופן שיטתי, שלב אחר שלב, חזרי דור אחד אחורה בכל פעם. הייי בטוחה שאת כוללת את שמות כל הצאצאים, הקרובים וכו'. לבסוף, אם את קרובה, תמצאי את הקשר. בנוסף, יש המנסים לקצר את התהליך באמצעות חקר הגנאלוגיה של האדם האחר, המפורסם. במקרה שלך יהיה זה הרב איוונץ (Ivenets rabbis). "הסכנה" באיסוף מידע על כל בני משפחה אלישברג היא שאת עלולה להתבלבל מאוד. אך אם את רוצה להמשיך לעשות זאת, התייעצי בפרק על מחקר רבני במדריך אבותינו לגנאלוגיה יהודית, שנכתב בידי חיים פרידמן מפתח תקווה. הפרק כולל ביבליוגרפיה עצומה ומוערת. ואם תרצי להתייעץ בפרידמן באופן אישי, כתובת הדוא"ל שלו היא: [email protected]. תרגמה: אסנת חזן

eyholla

הגירת צאצאי מגורשי ספרד למזרח אירופ

שם המשפחה שלי הוא הולנדר, מקור המשפחה מאזור טרנוב. ישנן מס' קבוצות של משפחות הולנדר בכל רחבי מזרח אירופה ונראה שאינן מקושרות . למדתי שההסבר לשם הוא: "ההולנדי", כלומר זה שהגיע מהולנד וכנראה ממשפחות ממגורשי ספרד. האם ניתן לאתר את המשפחות שהיגרו לפולין והאם ניתן למצוא רישומים להגירה זו שאירעה במאות ה-16-17. בברכה איל

eyholla

ובאנגלית

Dear Sallyann, My family name is HOLLANDER, origin from Tarnow area. There are few Hollanders’ families groups all over East Europe, it seems that most of these families are not connected. I learned that the explanation for the name is: “the one who came from Holland”, and his family probably expelled from Spain. Is it possible to trace those families that immigrated to Poland and find any records for that emigration which took place around the 16-17th centuries? Regards, Eyal Hollander.

Sallyann

Eyal

Dear Eyal, It is known that some individual Sephardim who lived in The Netherlands and originally came from Spain, did migrate eastward. I have never heard of any records of a "block" movement and doubt that such a thing exists. It is exceedingly difficult to trace any family, let alone a Jewish family, as far back as the 16th or 17th century, although a few people (usually from rabbinic families) have done it. The only thing I suggest is that you begin to trace your family backward in time, systematically, generation by generation, and see what you discover. Look at www.rtrfoundation.org to see what archival records are listed for Tarnow. (Records for the region would have been collected there I think). Sign up to participate in the GaliciaSIG digest at www.jewishgen.org.. Follow the prompts on the home page to "special interest groups." Also look at the JewishGen Family Finder and Family Tree of the Jewish People. Check to see if anyone else is researching people named Hollander from Tarnow. Go to www.avotaynu.com. Read the five-minute getting started segment. Join a genealogy society in Israel and benefit from "networking" with others. Sallyann​

תרגום התשובה לאייל הולנדר

אייל היקר, ידוע שמספר יחידים יהודים-ספרדים שחיו בהולנד והגיעו לשם במקור מספרד, הגרו מזרחה. מעולם לא שמעתי על רשומות על תנועה של "גוש" כזה ואני בספק עם רשומות כאלה נמצאות.קשה מאוד לאתר כל משפחה, ובודאי משפחה יהודית, רחוק כל כך עד למאה ה- 16 או המאה ה- 17, למרות שמספר אנשים (בדרך כלל משפחות רבניות) עשו כן. הדבר היחידי אותו אני מציעה לך לעשות הוא לנסות ולאתר את משפחתך בצורה שיטתית תוך חזרה לאחור. ראה מה תמצא באתר www.rtrfoundation.org על מנת לראות אלו רשומות ארכיוניות רשומות שם לטרנוב. (אני חושבת שרשומות הנוגעות לאזור כולו נרשמו תחת שם זה). תצטרף לקבוצת הענין המיוחדת של גליציה GaliciaSIG אליה תוכל להגיע דרך הכתובת www.jewishgen.org. עקוב אחר ההוראות בדף הבית כיצד להגיע לקבוצות ענין מיוחדות (SIG). כמו כן חפש ב- JGFF ובעץ המשפחה של עם היהודי. בדוק אם מישהו נוסף חוקר את השם הולנדר מטרנוב. לך ל"אבותינו" וקרא את "המדריך בן 5 הדקות למתחיל". וכן – הצטרף לאגודה גניאולוגית בישראל ותוכל להפיק תועלת מיצירת הקשר עם אחרים. סליאן תרגם: רוני

ברוכה הבאה, סליאן, אל ביתנו../images/Emo70.gif

אני שמח לפתוח את האירוח הטרנסאטלנטי הראשון. אני בטוח שנחכים כולנו. שיהיה לכולנו אירוח מוצלח, ארנון

Omri2000

Jewish names in Poland

Hello SallyAnn, I wonder what would be the sources to determine the circumstances in which a Jewish family would recive a name which is the same as a minor noble family in Poland sometime in the 18th century. In my case my grandfather's name was PANKIEWICZ a name which was a minor noble family within the TRABY clan and under the protectorate of the RADZIWILL family.

Sallyann

Omri2000

Dear Omri, According to Dr. Alexander Beider, author of A Dictionary of Jewish Surnames from the Kingdom of Poland, the Jewish name Pankiewicz (common in Zamosc, Lublin, Nowo-Minsk and Skierniewice) comes from the village of Pankow. Both Tomaszow district and Tarnopol district had villages with this name at about the time that Polish Jews were required to adopt fixed last names. Alternatively, Beider says, it may also have come from the village of Panki in Czestchowa district). What this likely means is that the ancestor who adopted this name probably came from one of those villages. For a detailed explanation of how Beider termines the etymology of Jewish surnames, see his detailed article which will appear in the next issue of AVOTAYNU, the International Review of Jewish Genealogy​

תרגום

לפי ד"ר אלכסנדר ביידר, מחבר מילון לשמות משפחה יהודיים בפולין (A Dictionary of Jewish Surnames), השם היהודי פנקייביץ' (נפוץ ב-Zamosc, לובלין, נובו-מינסק ו-Skierniewice) בא מהכפר Pankow. בשני המחוזות Tomaszow ו-Tranopol היו כפרים בשם זה בתקופה שיהודי פולין נדרשו לאמץ שמות משפחה קבועים. לחילופין, ביידר אומר, ייתכן שהמקור הוא בכפר Panki במחוז Czestchowa. ייתכן שפירוש הדבר שהאדם שאימץ שם זה היה מאחד הכפרים האלה. להסבר מפורט כיצד ביידר קובע את האטימולוגיה של שמות משפחה יהודיים, קרא את מאמרו המפורט שיופיע בגיליון הבא של 'אבותינו', העלון הבין-לאומי לגנאלוגיה יהודית. תרגמה: אסנת חזן

ניני4

Rappaport family Polish roots

My husband seeks information about Rappaport family, who lived in Pilc, poland, in the 19th century. How can he find ancestors of the first generation known to him- in Pilc?

Sallyann

Nini

It sounds as if you are just beginning your genealogical research. There is so much to say that I can't say it all in this forum. Instead, I suggest that you join a Jewish genealogical society near where you live. You can find them listed at www.JewishGen.org. On the home page look for "Hosted societies" and follow the IAJGS prompts until you see societies in Israel. Also go to www.avotaynu.com On this home page read the five minute getting started section. I just edited a huge book entitled Avotaynu Guide to Jewish Genealogy exactly for those people who are just getting started (and also for those who have been tracing for a while.) If you are comfortable reading English, I suggest that you get the book and do everything it recommends. Finally, you might want to contact Dr. Chanan Rapaport who lives in Jerusalem. Dr. Rapaport is the head of the Rapaport Family Foundation and perhaps could give some advice.​

תרגום התשובה לעברית

נשמע כאילו את רק בתחילת המחקר הגנאלוגי. יש כל כך הרבה מה לומר ואיני יכולה לומר הכול בפורום זה. במקום זאת, אני מציעה שתצטרפי לחברה גנאלוגית יהודית באזור מגורייך. תוכלי למצוא את רשימת החברות ב- www.jewishgen.org. בדף הבית חפשי "Hosted Societies" ועקבי אחר IAJGS עד שתראי חברות בישראל. כן, גשי ל- www.avotaynu.com. בדף הבית קראי את ההסבר הקצר איך להתחיל. זה עתה ערכתי ספר עצום ששמו: Avotaynu Guide to Jewish Genealogy, במיוחד בשביל אנשים שזה עתה מתחילים (וגם בשביל אלה שעושים זאת כבר זמן מה). אם נוח לך לקרוא באנגלית, אני מציעה שתשיגי את הספר ותעשי את כל המומלץ בו. לבסוף, ייתכן שתרצי ליצור קשר עם ד"ר חנן רפפורט שגר בירושלים. ד"ר רפפורט הוא ראש קרן משפחת רפפורט וייתכן שיוכל לייעץ לך.

למעלה