ברוכה הבאה, סליאן, אל ביתנו

תרגום לאנגלית

It is well known that in order to avoid the abduction of children to the Tzar's army in the middle of the 19 century, Jews named their children (except the eldest) - with different family names. Did anyone succeed in establishing a kink between the original family name and the fake name ? Did people return to their original surname later ? What research paths are available ?​

Sallyann

Kocha

What you describe is only one of the many tactics Jews used to protect their sons from the Russian army. Over the years AVOTAYNU has published many articles on this subject. If you are comfortable reading English (or can get someone to do this for you), obtain a copy of AVOTAYNU on CD which contains every word every published by AVOTAYNU and is fully searchable by any word. The czarist government exempted the eldest son from military service. Thus some Jewish families to tried to register subsequent sons as if they were firstborn sons. One tactic was to have someone else in the family (maybe a sister) who had no sons register the baby as if he were the sister's son. I know one family where three sons were registered as Evans, Shapiro and one other name. These men emigrated to the U.S. with the three different names--and kept them. Sometimes we find registers where an elderly woman, obviously past childbearing age, is registered as the mother of a newborn baby. Other times, a baby is given the name of a child who has died. I even know of cases in one Lithuanian family where two sons were registered as if they were one! Clearly, all these antics required bribery and the connivance of local authorities. Did they return to their original family names? I am sure that different people did different things, but I do not know personally of any who took the original family's name. Remember by the way, the Jews of this region did not have fixed, hereditary family names until the government forced the adoption of them early in the 19th century (so that the government could keep track of Jewish men for draft and taxing purposes!). How do you find their original names? Unless there is family history on the subject, it is probably going to be a difficult to impossible task. If you are determined to try it, my best suggestion is to read all of those AVOTAYNU stories and see if they suggest any strategies.​

תרגום לתשובה ששאלה כוכה

מה שאת מתארת, היא רק טקטיקה אחת מיני רבות שבן השתמשו היהודים על מנת להגן על בניהם מפני הצבא רוסי. לאורך השנים, "אבותינו" פירסמה מאמרים רבים על נושא זה. אם נח לך לקרוא אנגלית (או יכולה לדאוג שמישהו אחר יעשה זאת בשבילך), השיגי עותק של "אבותינו" על תקליטור, ובו כל מילה שפורסמה במשך השנים על ידי "אבותינו". ניתן לחפש במאגר לפי מילים. הממשלה הצארית פטרה את הבן הבכור משירות צבאי. כך, משפחות יהודיות ניסו לרשום ילדים אחרים, כאילו הם הבנים הבכורים. טקטיקה אחת היתה לארגן שמישהו אחר במשפחה (כמו אחות שלא היו לה בנים) ירשום את התינוק כאילו היה בנה של האחות. אני יודעת על משפחה אחת ובה שלושה בנים נרשמו כ- EVANS, SHAPIRO ועוד שם. גברים אלה היגרו לארה"ב עם 3 שמות משפחה שונים--- ושמרו עליהם. לעיתים אנו מוצאים רשומות ובהן אשה מבוגרת, שללא ספק עברה את גיל הפוריות, כרשומה כאמו של תינוק שזה אך נולד. במקרים אחרים, לתינוק ניתן שם של ילד שנפטר. אני אפילו מכירה מקרים בהם במשפחה ליטאית שני בנים נרשמו כאילו היו אחד ! ברור, שכל המקרים המתוארים דרשו שוחד לשלטונות המקומיות ואת סיועם הפעיל. האם הם חזרו לשמותיהם המקוריים ? אני בטוחה שאנשים שונים התנהגו באופן שונה, אולם לי לא ידוע באופן אישי אף לא על אחד שנטל בחזרה את שם משפחתו. אגב, זכרי, שהיהודים באזור זה לא נשאו שמות משפחה קבועים שעברו בירושה עד למועד בו השלטונות הכריחו אותם לאמץ להם שמות בתחילת המאה ה- 19 (על מנת שהשלטונות יוכלו לעקוב אחר הגברים למטרות גיוס ולמטרות מיסוי). איך תמצאי את שמם המקורי ? אלא אם כן יש היסטוריה משפחתית בענין זה, זו תהיה משימה קשה ואולי אף בלתי אפשרית. אם את נחושה בדעתך לעשות זאת, עצתי הטובה ביותר היא לקרוא את אותם סיפורים ב"אבותינו" ולראות אם איזה מהם מספק לך אסטרטגיה כיצד לעשות זאת. תרגם: רוני

Sallyann

Batya4

Dear Batya, Czarna is the Polish word for black. Charne, of course, is a Yiddish female name. Perhaps the name began with a woman or perhaps the man who first adopted it had a dark complexion. I have two suggestions for further research into rabbinic families and yeshivot. One is to contact Chaim Freedman who lives in Petah Tikva. Chaim wrote the chapter on rabbinic research in the Avotaynu Guide to Jewish Genealogy and also published his chapter as a free-standing book --in English, I think. His e-mail address is [email protected]. Also post your question on JewishGen's RAV-SIG (rabbinic special interest group) You can reach it by going to www.jewishgen.org. On the home page look for "special interest groups.'' The fact that Rovno is far from Brest may, indeed, suggest that the two families were related--or might it suggest that your grandfather --if he was a rabbi--found a job there.It's not clear to me from what you have written if your grandfather also was a rabbi. Rabbis tended to move around a great deal more than might be expected.​

תרגום לעברית

Czarna (צרנה) פירושה שחור בפולנית. צ'רנה, כמובן, הוא שם נשי ביידיש. ייתכן שהשם החל באישה או אולי לגבר שאימץ אותו היה תסביך אפל. יש לי 2 הצעות למחקר נוסף אחר שושלות רבניות וישיבות. האחת – ליצור קשר עם חיים פרידמן שגר בפתח תקווה. חיים כתב את הפרק על מחקר רבני ב'מדריך אבותינו לגנאלוגיה יהודית' וכן פרסם את הפרק כספר – אני חושבת שבאנגלית. כתובת הדוא"ל שלו: [email protected]. כמו כן, שלחי את שאלתך ל-RAV-SIG בג'ואישגן (קבוצת עניין מיוחדת לשושלות רבניות). תוכלי למצוא אותה ב- www.jewishgen.org. בדף הבית חפשי "קבוצות עניין מיוחדות" (Special interest groups). העובדה שרובנו מרוחקת מברסט, עלולה אכן לרמז על כך ששתי המשפחות היו קרובות או שסבך, אם היה רב, מצא שם עבודה. לא ברור לי ממה שכתבת אם סבך היה גם רב. רבנים נטו לנדוד יותר מהמצופה. תרגמה: אסנת חזן

חייקין

Amdur (Indura)

Dear Sallyann. My question below, is resul of your surname
: My ancestor, Hayim Hayke'l, who was born to Shmuel in Karlin, became the Admo"r of Amdur and died in 1787. Do you happened to have any material with regard to him and /or his relatives; descendants etc. Best wishes, Udi Cain

חייקין

אותה השאלה בשפת עבר../images/Emo13.gif

סליאן היקרה. שאלתי דלעיל היא פועל יוצא של שם משפחתך
אני צאצאו של חיים חייק'ל, שנולד לשמואל בקרלין, ונעשה האדמו"ר של אמדור. הוא נפטר בשנת 1787. האם יש בידיך איזה שהם נתונים עליו, קרוביו, צאצאיו, משפחתו וגו'. שלך, אודי קין

עב

רישום יהודים במורביה במאה ה - 18

קארל הרביעי לבית האבסבורג רצה לשלוט על מספר היהודים בארצו ועל כן הוא הוציא צו בשנת 1726 המתיר את הנישואים רק לבן אחד במשפחה (Familianten Ordnung). כדי לפקח על יישום הצו נרשמו המשפחות היהודיות בכל קהילה. לא מובן לי מה נרשם בספרים, האם הם היו חד פעמיים או התנהלו במשך תקופה מסוימת, היכן נמצאים הספרים האלה והאם הם נגישים לחוקרים? אני מתעניינת במורביה. תודה!

תרגום לאנגלית

Registration of Jews in Moravia in the 18th century --------------------------------------------------- Carl IV (Habsburg) wanted to rule the Jews in his country, hence he issued an Order in 1726 allowing marriage to one spouse only (Familianten Ordnung). In order to monitor the execution of the Order, the Jewish families in all the communities were registered. It is not clear to me what was regitered in the books; was the registration a one-time registration or was it done along a period of time; where are these books, and are they accessible to researchers. I am interested in Moravia. Thank you​

תרגום מתוקן

לצערי, נפלו שתי טעויות בתרגום (תודה לעב ול Talia Olav על תשומת הלב). להלן התרגום המדויק יותר:
Registration of Jews in Moravia in the 18th century --------------------------------------------------- Carl IV (Habsburg) wanted to control the Jews in his country, hence he issued an Order in 1726 allowing marriage of one son only (Familianten Ordnung). In order to monitor the execution of the Order, the Jewish families in all the communities were registered. It is not clear to me what was regitered in the books; was the registration a one-time registration or was it done along a period of time; where are these books, and are they accessible to researchers. I am interested in Moravia. Thank you​

Sallyann

A response to AB

The best place to start probably is with the Austrian-Czech Special Interest Group. Go to www.jewishgen.org. On the home page look for "special interest groups" and follow the prompts. Register with this SIG and post your question on its digest. The chapter on the Czech Republic in the newly published Avotaynu Guide to Jewish Genealogy details the Familianten Law of 1724. To limit the number of Jews in his realm, Carl IV firs required that a census be taken of the Jews. The census, listed by village and by family all Jews who lived in the Czech Lands. This did not include Prague where the census was not conducted until 1729. After the 1724 census, a fixed number of Jewish familes was established: 8,541 for Bohemia and 5,106 for Moravia. The so-called Family Law was passed to maintain this number. Families were given a "family number" that brought with it "domicile rights" equivalent to citizenship. Only the eldest son in each family was permitted to marry; families with daughters only were destined to die out. Younger sons remained single or emigrated. In some cases, religous marries were beformed but not registered officially. This resulted in many so-called illegitimate births on the official birth registers. Registers were kept listing the familiant--that is, the head of the family--and his sons in order of birth. Girls were not listed in the familianten books although wives might be. These registers often were not actually compiled in written form until many years after the event and were backdated. Naturally, there were times when false information was given. Upon their marriage, some families "adopted" the wife's surname, especially if that family only had daughters. Generally, however, the registers are accurate and correspond with the vital statistics records. The vital statistics and familianten records now are held in the state archives in Prague. This chapter in the Guide, like all of the other chapters, has an extensive bibliography and details on how to access genealogical records.​

תרגום לתשובה עבור ע ב

המקום הטוב ביותר להתחיל בו הוא בוודאי קבוצת העניין המיוחדת Austrian-Czech. פנה לדף הבית של www.jewishgen.org וחפש "special interest groups". הירשם ל-sig זה והצג שם את שאלתך. הפרק על הרפובליקה הצ'כית במדריך המחודש של 'אבותינו' לגנאלוגיה יהודית מפרט את את חוק המשפחתיות (Familianten Law) מ-1724. כדי להגביל את מספר היהודים בתחום שיפוטו, קארל הרביעי דרש תחילה לערוך מפקד תושבים של היהודים. מפקד התושבים רשם לפי כפר ומשפחה, את כל היהודים שחיו בגבולות צ'כיה. הדבר לא כלל את פראג, שם לא נערך מפקד תושבים עד 1729. לאחר מפקד התושבים של 1724, נקבע מספר קבוע של משפחות יהודיות: 8,541 לבוהמיה ו-5,106 למוראביה. חוק המשפחה היה מקביל לאזרחות. רק הבן הבכור בכל משפחה הורשה להינשא; משפחות שהיו בהן בנות בלבד, נועדו להיכחד. בנים צעירים יותר נותרו רווקים או שהיגרו. במקרים מסוימים, נערכו נישואין דתיים אך הם לא נרשמו באופן רשמי. כתוצאה מכך היו לידות לא חוקיות רבות כביכול ברישומי הילודה הרשמיים. היו רישומים של ה-familiant, כלומר ראש המשפחה ושל בניו לפי סדר הלידה. בנות לא נרשמו בספרי ה-familianten אף שאפשר היה לרשום נשים. לעתים קרובות, רישומים אלה לא נערכו בכתב שנים רבות לאחר האירוע ונעשו למפרע. באופן טבעי, היו מקרים שניתן מידע כוזב. עם נישואיהם, היו משפחות ש"אימצו" את שם המשפחה של האישה, במיוחד אם היו במשפחה זו בנות בלבד. ואולם, באופן כללי, הרישומים מדויקים ומתאימים ל-vital statistics records. רישומי מרשם האוכלוסין (ה-vital statistics) ורישומי המשפחות (familianten) נמצאים כעת בארכיוני המדינה בפראג. בפרק זה במדריך, ככל הפרקים האחרים, יש ביבליוגרפיה נרחבת ופרטים כיצד להשיג רישומים גנאלוגיים. תרגמה: אסנת חזן

Sallyann

Udi Cain

Dear Udi, I wish that I did, but my Amdurs apparently adopted the name after they left Amdur (Indura). They first show up in Braslav, today in northeastern Belarus, in the third quarter of the 18th century.​

תרגום לעברית

אודי היקר, הלואי והייתי יודעת, אבל האמדורים שלי אימצו כנראה את השם לאחר שהם עזבו את אמדור (אינדורה). הם הופיעו לראשונה בברסלב, כיום בצפון מזרח בלרוס, ברבע השלישי של המאה ה- 18. תרגמה: אסנת חפץ.

חייקין

שאלה לסליאן. ניסוח באנגלית מחדש../images/Emo13.gif

Dear Sallyann. My question below is a result of your surname
My ancestor Hayim Hayke'l was born to Shmuel in Karlin. Hayim became "The Admo"r of Amdur" (Indura). Do you happened to have any material with regard to him and / or his family, descendants, relatives etc. Best wishes, Udi Cain​

הדס ח

יהדות מרוקו

היכן ניתן למצוא מידע על יהודי העיר מקנס במאה בתשע עשרה? הדס WHERE CAN I FIND INFORMATION ABOUT THE JEWISH PEOPLE (AMAR FAMILY) OF MEKNES-MORROCCO? THANKS HADASS

למעלה