once removed בעברית

once removed בעברית

I've been working on a list of Hebrew genealogy terms, and I would love to get input on all of them. You can see the full list of over 150 terms here:

https://bloodandfrogs.com/2018/04/hebrew-family-and-genealogy-terms.html

However, there's one term in particular I'm trying to figure out and would appreciate discussing here. It's how to describe cousins of different generations. In English we say first cousin once removed, or third cousin twice removed, etc.

I have no convincing answer as to what the correct term is in Hebrew. I've seen a formulation here using the word מוזח:

בֶּן דּוֹד שְׁלִישִׁי מוּזָח פַּעֲמַיִם

for "Third cousin twice removed"

Looking through other places online I've also seen:

בֶּן דּוֹד שְׁלִישִׁי מֶדּוֹר שֵׁנִי

בֶּן דּוֹד שְׁלִישִׁי מַדְרֵגָה שְׁנִיָּיה

בֶּן דּוֹד שְׁלִישִׁי הוּסַר פַּעֲמַיִם

and in the following discussion on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1703463273233708/permalink/2072128046367227/

there were also suggestions such as:

בֶּן דּוֹד שְׁלִישִׁי בשֵׁנִי

There are of course even more possibilities if once spends time searching.

The first time I suggested the term מוזח to someone they heard מוזנח.

That's a problem, but in my mind not as bad as the fact that most people don't know what the word means. It was suggested to me that מוזז might be better in this case:

בֶּן דּוֹד שְׁלִישִׁי מוּזָז פַּעֲמַיִם

This doesn't have the problem with מוזנח and the word is easily understandable to any Hebrew speaker. It's true that in either case the phrase may not be understood, but at least the words are, and people can make an educated guess. I welcome a discussion on what would be best for this phrase.

חשוב להזכיר את שיטתו של הרמב"ם

על פיה, למשל, אחים הם "ראשון בראשון", בני דודים (מדרגה ראשונה) הם "שני בשני", ובהתאם לכך - בן-דוד מוזח פעם אחת הוא "ראשון בשני". כלומר, הספירה מתחילה באב-הקדמון המשותף האחרון, וסופרת דורות של כל אחד מן האנשים אליו. שיטה זו ניתנת להרחבה בקלות לכל דרגה של בני-דודים ולכל מידת הזחה. ראה כאן וכאן.

הרמב"ם

I like that there's a method for describing this relationship that dates back to Maimonides, but I'm but sure most people would understand that ראשון בראשון were siblings.

My goal is to find a term that is understandable to the average person. The full phrase might not be fully understandable, but at least the words will make sense and people can make an educated guess.

מורחק

Someone else suggested to me the word מורחק:

בן דוד שלישי מורחק פעמים

Although I'm not sure that has the correct connotation.

מוזז

I think my current preference is to use the word

מוזז

It may not be perfect, but it is understandable by all Hebrew speakers.

בן דוד שלישי מוזז פעמ׳ם

for 'Third Cousin twice removed'

I think it works because besides the meaning of moved, it also means shifted. Third cousins shifted twice is as understandable as twice removed.

למעלה