השטיקים של יורופקאר והטיפול של הניו יורק טיימס בתלונות

דניאלה1311

מנהל
השטיקים של יורופקאר והטיפול של הניו יורק טיימס בתלונות אני מקוה שתצליחו להכנס לכתבה (באנגלית) היא מאד מאלפת לגבי מה עתון גדול יכול לגרום לחברת השכרה בינלאומית ששוכר רכב פרטי כמעט ולא יכול. אם יש לכם בעיה לפתוח את הכתבה אנא כתבו לי כאן ואעתיק אותה בשלמותה
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/15/...ck&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Travel

דניאלה1311

מנהל
הכתבה
TRIPPED UP
&nbsp
Help! Renting a Vehicle Through Europcar Drove Me Crazy!
In this week’s Tripped Up column, Sarah Firshein investigates multiple complaints with the rental car company Europcar.
&nbsp
By Sarah Firshein
Published Nov. 15, 2019
Updated Nov. 16, 2019
&nbsp
When we first solicited reader stories of travel disasters, we immediately received four individual emails concerning Europcar, the rental car company that operates in 140 countries. Although anyone renting a car from any rental company on Earth might find themselves in the situations below, we felt that strength in numbers might be valuable here, so we packaged the disasters as a quartet and sent them to Europcar for comment.
&nbsp
In addition to (largely) resolving the complaints, Europcar emailed the following statement: “Europcar Mobility Group would like to thank The New York Times for bringing to its attention the various customer service issues. The company has responded directly to each of the customers concerned to resolve their queries and has taken on board where processes may need to be improved to deliver the best possible customer experience.”
&nbsp
Dear Tripped Up,
After arriving in Calgary for the annual Calgary Stampede, Europcar jilted us by failing to honor our rental car reservation. There was only car left in the entire place, at Avis, and soon we were driving off in a red Mustang convertible that cost 2,000 Canadian dollars more than the car we reserved. Because Europcar failed to honor my reservation, shouldn’t I be refunded for the difference? Ethan
&nbsp
Dear Ethan,
As a “Seinfeld” fan, it gave me great pleasure to email Europcar: “Why did Europcar take the reservation but not actually keep the reservation? Isn’t that the whole point of a reservation?”
&nbsp
&nbsp
Like most car rental companies, though, Europcar overbooks to offset potential no-shows. Combine that with what the company cited as “high demand and some customers not returning vehicles as expected,” and it’s no surprise that you arrived to a nonexistent car, especially on one of Calgary’s busiest weeks of the year.
&nbsp
Europcar’s Reservation Guarantee Policy is meant to bulwark against scenarios like yours; if you are forced to rent a car elsewhere because of a lack of inventory, Europcar pledges to reimburse you. But these consumer protections are nonstandardized non-laws, leaving it up to the renter to advocate for recourse either in person, at peak exasperation, or after the fact, through a dizzying maze of emails and phone calls that go unanswered. Not exactly a winnable game.
&nbsp
I advocated for you and had some luck. Europcar issued you a refund of 983.29 dollars: the exact difference between the car you ostensibly rented and the red Mustang you drove away with, James Bond-style. However, the company was unwilling to refund the additional fees that amounted to the full 2,000 dollars overage.
&nbsp
That pain point is exactly what has prompted the Audi-owned rental car company, Silvercar (available in various cities in the United States, largely at airports), to rethink the traditional car-renting process by eliminating surprise fees and other hassles. And, as luck would have it, the company has a foothold in Denver — should you ever be inclined to attend another rodeo, say, in the American West.
&nbsp
Dear Tripped Up,
In March, when I went to pick up my Europcar rental at the Puerto Vallarta airport, the agent forced me to buy $236.68 insurance before handing over the keys, even though my American Express card already offers collision damage waiver insurance. I showed him proof of coverage, but he held his ground. I’ve had no luck getting the money back. Keith
&nbsp
Hi Keith,
You’re right: All American Express cards have Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance, secondary collision damage waiver coverage for rental-car damage or theft, which is applicable worldwide in most countries, including Mexico.
&nbsp
You were also correct to assume that Amex C.D.W. coverage kicks in only when cardholders decline the insurance offered by the rental car company: exactly what you attempted.
&nbsp
You were also correct to show proof of coverage, because even though Amex is a multi-billion-dollar, multinational brand that’s just about as recognizable as McDonald’s, Europcar still requires physical documentation of C.D.W. coverage, beyond the card itself. (You can get a Letter of Coverage on the spot by calling the phone number on the back of the credit card.)
&nbsp
Either the Puerto Vallarta agent was trying to pull a fast one or he was genuinely confused about the policies. Regardless, Europcar has issued a refund for the extra insurance.
&nbsp
Tripped Up
Need advice about a best-laid travel plan that went awry? Send us an email to [email protected].
Travel Disasters Happen. Our New Columnist Is Here to Help.Sept. 15, 2019
&nbsp
Have Passport, Can’t TravelOct. 25, 2019
&nbsp
Help! I’m Stuck on a Train and My Plane Is Leaving Without MeOct. 5, 2019
&nbsp
Dear Tripped Up,
My wife and I rented a vehicle through Europcar for a monthlong drive through South America; the rental agreement, via Priceline, came out to $3,312. But I believe Europcar used an inflated exchange rate, rather than the rate at the date of the credit card transaction, to convert the agreed-upon U.S.D. price to Chilean pesos. I ended up with a bill that was $194 higher. Barry
&nbsp
&nbsp
Dear Barry,
Because currency conversion rates vary daily, Europcar Chile sets a fixed rate based on the exchange rate on the first day of the month, plus 2 percent to account for the rate variance through the month. That’s generally industry standard. Acknowledging that you might not have had full access to the terms and conditions when you booked through a third-party site, Europcar has refunded your $194.
&nbsp
Dear Tripped Up,
Our tire blew out shortly after picking up a BMW from Europcar in Rome. We were told that roadside assistance would cost 300 euros, plus the price of the tire; alternatively, I could exchange the car at the nearest Europcar location, about 16 miles north. But with a flat tire? Our Airbnb host helped us purchase and install a new tire, but I lost $96 in the process. Chris
&nbsp
Dear Chris,
Europcar confirms that its 24-hour roadside assistance for a flat tire should have been free, and that “it is not the company’s policy to ask a customer to drive with a blown-out tire.” (Amen to that.) In order to resolve what it has called “an honest misunderstanding,” Europcar has refunded you for the cost of the replacement tire. Here’s hoping that your next trip to Rome won’t be such a … Roman holiday.
&nbsp
The Oct. 27 edition of Tripped Up, in which a woman unsuccessfully tried to travel internationally with a passport set to expire four months, inspired all sorts of reactions from Times readers. Kate R. got right to the point: “Wouldn’t it make life easier if the powers that be just put that info on their websites instead of folks having to guess? That’s a problem with many government websites.” Agreed!

לאונידס

, הלואי ואיזשהו עיתון היה מרים את הכפפה
לגבי חברות השכרה בארץ.
לא פעם יוצא לי לקבל רכב שכור בארץ (לנסיעות עבודה), לא נדיר שמצב הרכבים והשירות פשוט חרפה.
במקרה של עיתון זר כנראה שרמת השירות לפחות בנתב"ג היתה משתפרת, מה שהיה פוטנציאלית מסייע גם לשוכרים ישראלים

dudi4321

תרגום הכתבה שהביאה דניאלה
דרך גוגל. תרגום עקום אבל יעזור למי שלא קורא טוב אנגלית
&nbsp
נשמט

עזרה! השכרת רכב דרך יורופקאר שיגע אותי!
בעמודה Tripped Up של השבוע, שרה פירשיין חוקרת תלונות מרובות עם חברת הרכב השכורה Europcar.

מאת שרה פירשיין
פורסם ב- 15 בנובמבר 2019
עודכן ב- 16 בנובמבר 2019

כששאלנו לראשונה סיפורי קוראים על אסונות נסיעות, קיבלנו מייד ארבעה אימיילים אישיים הנוגעים לאירופקאר, חברת הרכב להשכרה הפועלת ב -140 מדינות. אף על פי שמישהו ששוכר רכב מחברת השכרה כלשהי בכדור הארץ עלול למצוא את עצמו במצבים שלמטה, הרגשנו שכוח במספרים עשוי להיות בעל ערך כאן, אז ארזנו את האסונות כרביעייה ושלחנו אותם ליורופקאר להערה.

בנוסף (במידה רבה) לפתור את התלונות, שלח חברת Europcar את ההצהרה הבאה: "קבוצת Europcar Mobility רוצה להודות לניו יורק טיימס על שהביאה לידיעתה את סוגיות שירות הלקוחות השונות. החברה הגיבה ישירות לכל אחד מהלקוחות הנוגעים בדבר כדי לפתור את השאלות שלהם ולקחה על סיפונה איפה שיהיה צורך לשפר תהליכים בכדי לספק את חווית הלקוח הטובה ביותר האפשרית. "

יקירתי משוחרר,
לאחר שהגענו לקלגרי לטקס השנתי של קלגרי סטמפדה, האירופאר טילטל אותנו בכך שלא כבד את הזמנת הרכב שלנו להשכרה. נשארה רק מכונית בכל המקום, באוויס, ועד מהרה נסענו במכונית מוסטנג אדומה שנמצאת במחיר של 2,000 דולר קנדיים יותר מהמכונית ששמרנו. מכיוון שחברת יורופקאר לא הצליחה לכבד את ההזמנה שלי, האם אין להחזיר לי את ההפרש? איתן

איתן היקר,
כחובב "סיינפלד", זה נתן לי הנאה גדולה לשלוח בדואר אלקטרוני את חברת Europcar: "מדוע Europcar לקחה את ההזמנה אך לא שמרה על ההזמנה? האם זה לא כל נקודת ההזמנה? "

עם זאת, כמו רוב חברות השכרת הרכב, ספרי יתר של חברת Europcar לקיזוז אי-הופעות פוטנציאליות. שלב את זה עם מה שהחברה ציינה כ"ביקוש גבוה ולקוחות מסוימים שלא מחזירים כלי רכב כצפוי ", ולא מפתיע שהגעת למכונית לא קיימת, במיוחד באחד השבועות העמוסים ביותר של קלגרי בשנה.

מדיניות האחריות להזמנות של יורופקאר מיועדת להתרוצץ נגד תרחישים כמו שלך; אם אתה נאלץ לשכור רכב במקום אחר בגלל היעדר מלאי, יורופקאר מתחייבת להחזיר לך. אך הגנות צרכנים אלה אינן חוקיות שאינן סטנדרטיות, ומשאירות את השוכר לדאוג לפנייה, באופן אישי, במצוקה קשה או לאחר מעשה, דרך מבוך מסחרר של מיילים ושיחות טלפון שלא נענות. לא בדיוק משחק שניתן לזכות בו.

דגלתי בשבילך והיה לי קצת מזל. יורופקאר הנפיקה לך החזר של 983.29 דולר: ההבדל המדויק בין המכונית ששכרת לכאורה למוסטנג האדום שאיתו נסעת, בסגנון ג'יימס בונד. עם זאת, החברה לא הייתה מוכנה להחזיר את העמלות הנוספות שהסתכמו בכמויות יתר של 2000 דולר.

נקודת הכאב הזו היא בדיוק מה שהניע את חברת הרכבים להשכרה באודי, סילברקאר (זמינה בערים שונות בארצות הברית, בעיקר בשדות תעופה), לחשוב מחדש על תהליך השכרת הרכב המסורתי על ידי ביטול דמי הפתעה וטרדות אחרות. וכפי שיהיה במזל, לחברה יש דריסת רגל בדנבר - האם אי פעם תיתכוון להשתתף ברודיאו אחר, נניח במערב האמריקני.

יקירתי משוחרר,
בחודש מרץ, כשאני הלכתי לאסוף את השכירות שלי ב- Europcar בשדה התעופה של פוארטו ואלרטה, הכריח אותי הסוכן לקנות ביטוח של 236.68 דולר לפני שמסר לי את המפתחות, למרות שכרטיס אמריקן אקספרס שלי כבר מציע ביטוח ויתור על נזקי התנגשות. הראיתי לו הוכחת כיסוי, אבל הוא אחז באדמה. לא היה לי מזל להחזיר את הכסף. קית

הי קית,
אתה צודק: בכל כרטיסי אמריקן אקספרס יש ביטוח אובדן נזק והשכרת רכב, כיסוי ויתור על נזקי התנגשות משניים בגין נזק או גניבת רכב להשכרה, אשר תקף בכל רחבי המדינות, כולל מקסיקו.

צדקת גם להניח שאמקס C.D.W. הכיסוי נכנס רק כאשר מחזיקי הכרטיסים דוחים את הביטוח שמציעה חברת רכב השכרת: בדיוק מה שניסית.

גם צדקת להציג הוכחות לכיסוי, כי למרות שאמקס הוא מותג רב מיליארד דולר, רב לאומי שזוהה כמעט כמו מקדונלד'ס, אירופקאר עדיין זקוקה לתיעוד פיזי של C.D.W. כיסוי, מעבר לכרטיס עצמו. (תוכל לקבל מכתב כיסוי על המקום על ידי חיוג למספר הטלפון בגב כרטיס האשראי.)

או שהסוכן של פורטו ואלרטה ניסה למשוך אחד מהיר או שהוא היה מבולבל באמת בנוגע למדיניות. בלי קשר, יורופקאר הוציאה החזר בגין הביטוח הנוסף.

מעד
זקוק לייעוץ לגבי תוכנית טיולים שהונחה בצורה הטובה ביותר שהשתבשה? שלחו לנו דוא"ל לכתובת [email protected].
אסונות נסיעות קורים. בעל הטור החדש שלנו כאן כדי לעזור. ספטמבר. 15, 2019

יש דרכון, לא יכול לנסוע ב- TravelOct. 25, 2019

עזרה! אני תקוע ברכבת והמטוס שלי יוצא בלי לי. 5, 2019

יקירתי משוחרר,
אשתי ואני שכרנו רכב דרך Europcar במשך נסיעה של חודש

למעלה